Wireless Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitty500cat

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a laptop sometime in the near future (which would, in all probability, be wireless network enabled). My desktop is a part of an Ethernet network that has broadband Internet (DSL). Now some wireless routers have Ethernet ports on the back. So if I would connect my desktop via Ethernet to a wireless router separate from the original Ethernet network, it would be a simple network to my laptop.

Now the desktop would be connected to two networks, the existing one, and the new one. If my desktop is computer A, the ones that it is connected to in the existing network are B and C, and my laptop is D, A is on a network w/B and C, and it is on another one with D. So if the network with A, B, and C has DSL Internet plugged into the router, would the network with A and D also have broadband Internet? In short, could I get Internet on my laptop?

I hope this makes sense to someone; I never know how to ask questions in an understandable manner :). Thx to anybody who replies.

--kitty

If your existing ethernet network has a wired-only router, then the right thing to do would be to either add a wireless access point to the existing network or replace the current wired-only router with a wireless router.

You can make a network bridge between the networks. That makes it possible to put them all on the internet.

Thx guys. I'm not sure how to make a network bridge, frankibo. But Nodsu, I'm looking for a way to network my laptop to just the desktop, not the whole other network. I think the easiest way to do this is just to have the desktop on two networks; but if the desktop has internet over one network, will it put it on the other too?

I have no computer networking degree, btw ;)

--kitty

Well, yes, you attach a wireless adapter to the network machine and create an ad-hoc connection between the PC and the lappy. And yes, you can tell the PC to share the wired network to the laptop (using Windows ICS).

Mind you, the ad-hoc connection is usually slow and unreliable as hell.

You can also bridge the wired and wireless on the desktop like frankibo said, but that would be exactly the same as connecting the laptop to the original network directly.

Do you have some specific reason to keep connecting the laptop to the LAN?

sounds like you want sharing twix your desktop and laptop but to isolate the
laptop from the other systems AND the internet. if so, this is what it would
look like
Code:
DSL ---- router ---- systems (b+c)
          +
          + ----- (nic-1) desktop(a) (nic-2) ---- laptop

add nic-2 to the desktop and enable print/file sharing on (A) BUT do not
enable ICS, as that would give the laptop internet access AND expose it to
access attempts from b+c as well as a

you will need to manually config nic-2 on (A) as well as the laptop.

if this is what you need, we can discuss the how-to-config in another follow-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back