Wireless layout help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_17

Hi,

I'm having some trouble planning my wireless network. I don't have much experience with wireless, expcept configuring my girlfriend's wireless lan in her house.

I live in an apartment that is in the next floor that my parent's, and I currently have a network cable hangin' from window to window. Due to community problems (neighbours) I have to remove such cable.

There are 2 computers on my apartment connected to a switch, and 2 computer downstairs connected to another separate switch. Both switches are unmanaged and are connected through the uplink port. Then, there is a DSL modem connected to the switch in my apartment.

From what I read, I have 2 options:

1. Use 2 wireless bridges to "join" the 2 switches, and then buy an wireless access point and attach it to either of the switches in case I want wireless access to the internet.

2. Put a wireless access point to which all the computers will connect. There is a catch, one of my PC's is an Shuttle XPC with no available free PCI ports...

How would you guys solve this, what is cheaper, and what exactly do I need?

I think you should use option #2. For the Shuttle XPC you can use a USB wireless adapter instead of a PCI card. Just be sure that you enable either WPA or WEP on your router so others in your apartment building don't use your connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back