Wireless modem and router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister has dsl service through an Actiontec wireless modem. She is wired to the modem, but I was trying to find a way to share the connection with a pc and game system that are in the same room upstairs. I have never had a wireless router, so I would like to know if they receive signals or only broadcast them? I thought they could only broadcast, but I was reading wireless how-tos and I became unsure. Edit: That was unclear. I know they receive signals but I couldn't find an answer as to whether this would work in sharing a connection.

Is there anyway to set it up so I can share the connection upstairs using the wireless function of the modem to broadcast to a router upstairs, or am I stuck needing to buy a wireless card(s)?

How would the router get data from your computer if it couldn't receive any signals? :p

Yes, you can link wireless devices if you like. Mind you, you don't need a router for what you are trying to do - a simple wireless access point will do.

Nodsu said:
How would the router get data from your computer if it couldn't receive any signals? :p.

That was my logic, but having never had anything wireless I figured I better check. I couldn't find it explicitly stated anywhere.

Nodsu said:
Yes, you can link wireless devices if you like. Mind you, you don't need a router for what you are trying to do - a simple wireless access point will do.

I was looking at a Linksys Wireless G because it will function as a WAP and a router and I can get it for $30. I couldn't find instructions on how to set it up like I want though.

Hi
The port on the router labeled wan goes to your modem, the router ports or wireless access then can be used by the hosted systems. Read the manual? I would disable ssid and only allow specified mac addresses to be able to connect wirelessly.

But what I am asking is is there a way to do it so there is not a direct connection to the modem. The modem has wireless capabilities itself. What I want to know is if I can use the wireless function of the modem to communicate with the router in a different room.

You'll have to ask the router maker about this, I am unsure if the wan can come from the wireless side of things.

Nodsu said:
Mind you, you don't need a router for what you are trying to do - a simple wireless access point will do.

*sigh*

I am not sure if you can make that Linksys to sucessfully act as a slave access point. Maybe someone with more experience with these can help you.

so the network would be
modem -->wireless -->upstairs-->X
X could be a system with one wireless adaptor + a NIC configured to use ICS for other systems but unlikely that a router would work.
An AccessPoint would have the same problem

The network would be

wireless modem -> thin air -> access point -> a bunch of computers

The AP will work in slave mode, repeating signals to and from the wireless modem thing, basically acting as a switch. APs usually have several wired ports on them so you can connect any computers you like.

Hmm, seems that Actiontec doesn't make APs that would capable of range extending.. I dare not say if you can do it with an AP from another manufacturer - they are not eager to say that you could use a product from competition :p

Nodsu said:
The network would be

wireless modem -> thin air -> access point -> a bunch of computers

The AP will work in slave mode, repeating signals to and from the wireless modem thing, basically acting as a switch. APs usually have several wired ports on them so you can connect any computers you like.

Hmm, seems that Actiontec doesn't make APs that would capable of range extending.. I dare not say if you can do it with an AP from another manufacturer - they are not eager to say that you could use a product from competition :p

That is what I'm trying to do. Actiontec doesn't include any wireless instructions with their modem, just an ad for their usb wireless adapter. I found this: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233 but it didn't seem to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back