Wireless N router recommendations

By linusb212
Dec 13, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Looking for a wireless router in the sub $60 range. Router lives at one end of house and we live in a ranch style home where it's nice to have reception at far end of house.

Currently have a Microsoft MN-500 and I have to unplug/reset because the wireless connectivity goes out on it. I have minimal reception at far end of house with this unit.

Don't currently have any streaming televisions or anything like that...but probably will in the next year. Want to get a router that could handle that.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

I would check PC magazine, PC world, computer shopper for ratings.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,336   +293

Look for a MIMI class router; ie one with multiple antenna. these typically have better signal strength.
    Also mount your router on top of a bookcase rather than on the floor to remove 'ground effect' interaction with the RF.
  4. coolermaster

coolermaster Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

jobeard, its a MIMO class router not MIMI!

i'd agree this class of router would be a good choice. Asus and Draytek make some good routers and D-Link high-end routers are quite good.

If you cannot get a strong signal with your new router, you might want to reposition the router to a more central location in your house.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,336   +293

of course - - obvious typo :wave:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.