Wireless N router recommendations

By linusb212
Dec 13, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Looking for a wireless router in the sub $60 range. Router lives at one end of house and we live in a ranch style home where it's nice to have reception at far end of house.

Currently have a Microsoft MN-500 and I have to unplug/reset because the wireless connectivity goes out on it. I have minimal reception at far end of house with this unit.

Don't currently have any streaming televisions or anything like that...but probably will in the next year. Want to get a router that could handle that.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

I would check PC magazine, PC world, computer shopper for ratings.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,150   +597

Look for a MIMI class router; ie one with multiple antenna. these typically have better signal strength.
    Also mount your router on top of a bookcase rather than on the floor to remove 'ground effect' interaction with the RF.
  4. coolermaster

coolermaster TS Rookie Posts: 17

jobeard, its a MIMO class router not MIMI!

i'd agree this class of router would be a good choice. Asus and Draytek make some good routers and D-Link high-end routers are quite good.

If you cannot get a strong signal with your new router, you might want to reposition the router to a more central location in your house.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,150   +597

of course - - obvious typo :wave: