Wireless Network Camera Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am obviously new to Techspot, and my question will reflect that I am sure, but here it is: I have a lakehouse, installed a 2wire AT&T wirleless router and a Panasonic BB-HCM371A Camera. I had everything working with my laptop, wirelessly, while on the lakehouse wireless network.
When I returned to my house in the city, where I have ATT U-Verse, with Their wireless 2 wire router, I could not access the camera.
Long and short, why can one wirless network not contact another. I have all of the IP Addresses. I assume this is something very easy or stupid, and I am sorry, but I just cannot figure it out. I am looking for any help I can get.
Thanks all,
Steve

Even though your provider at both homes is AT&T, the two wireless networks are not able to communicate with each other by default. The routers you have in each house separate your home networks from AT&T's network with their firewalls. Opening a port in the firewall that is forwarded to your camera will allow access from anywhere in the world as long as you know the exact external IP address with the correct open port added to the end of it.

I assume the IP address you have for your camera is something like 192.168.x.x and is hopefully statically set(not DHCP) The first thing you will have to do at your lake house is configure 'Port Forwarding' in your router so that your camera is accessible from the internet. While connected to the internet there you will also need to visit www.ipchicken.com and write down your external IP address which is what you will use in combination with the port number you opened to connect to your camera from your home in the city.

I am at work right now so there are many details missing but if you need more help, reply and I'll do my best to get back to you.

let's map the connections
Code:
local system[B](A)[/B]--- local router#1--home.modem[B](B)[/B]---isp(home)
                                                     |
   +------------------------------------------------+
   |
   |
isp(@lakehouse) --- [B](C)[/B]modem--router#2 ---[B](D)[/B] camera

The (B) ipAddress will be a public address, as will (C).
Ether end can ping the B or C addresses

The (A) and (D) addresses will be in the private range and are not pingable
(nor reachable) from the internet.

To make this work
  • the (D) address must be static assignment
  • and the camera access port must be forwarded from router#2 to the camera static address
  • then the lakehouse (B) address needs to be easily accessed.
    this is done with DynDNS.org
This will allow access to the camera, but you ought to secure that access with a very strong password -- you should have some setup instructions with the camera for remote access control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back