TechSpot

Wireless network causing blue screens

By n8ttu2k4
Mar 26, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strange problem I cannot seem to find an answer for.

System: Acer tablet PC laptop running Windows XP Home Edition.
    OS: Windows XP Home Edition - SP2 - all updates current

Background: Ive had this computer in its current configuration for about 5 years now. I have had no problems with the system and have kept all updates current. About a month ago I bought a NETGEAR wireless router to set up a network at my new residence using the already set up desktop connected through a modem from the local telephone company. The wireless worked without problems for a few weeks then one night while the computer was hibernating it blue screened and autoatically restarted. Since that night every time I reboot, the system will run anywhere from 1 minute to 20 minutes before giving a blue screen and restarting.

Problem: After disabling the automatic restart I was able to read the stop error IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS. When I reboot and the system stays on long enough, I am able to send a windows error report which comes back as a problem most likely associated with my wireless network. I followed all of windows suggestions including updating all the firmware and drivers for the router and my computer but still no fix.

Oddity: The computer and wireless access work perfectly fine when I take the laptop to other networks including school, friend's houses, or WiFi hotspots. The computer will connect and remain that way the entire length of time I am connected. Also, the computer will work when I use it right next to the desktop computer and the router that is connected to it. If I attempt to move the computer to another room in the house it will blue screen almost immediately.

Fixes tried so far:
    - I took the computer to BestBuys Geek Squad where they ran a diagnostic on the system. They found that all the hardware was working fine but the computer had some virus infections. They recommended an OS restore.

- I ran Norton AntiVirus and removed most of the viruses Geek Squad's diag found but it did not locate all of them.

- I returned the NETGEAR router and bought a Linksys router thinking maybe it was just faulty hardware but still the same result.

- As a last resort I reinstalled Windows XP with the original installation disc.

After reinstalling all the windows updates im still having the same issue. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I am out of ideas.

I have a limited knowlege of computers but I can usually get by. If I need to provide more information on the system or problem I can do that.

Thanks

2. xehqter

xehqter TS Rookie Posts: 85

does it give a driver name causing the blue screen.. if possible could you upload the latest .dump file in c:\windows\minidump

3. n8ttu2k4

n8ttu2k4 TS Rookie Topic Starter

xehqter

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. After reading your post I reinstalled the w22n51 driver updates for my wireless card. My computer has been operating without failure for about 3 days now! I dont want to jinx it but, I think my problem has been solved. I guess my first attempt to install the updates failed or something. Again thank you for helping.

4. xehqter

xehqter TS Rookie Posts: 85

the w22n51 driver had a bug which caused frequent random blue screens

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.