Wireless network causing blue screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange problem I cannot seem to find an answer for.

System: Acer tablet PC laptop running Windows XP Home Edition.
OS: Windows XP Home Edition - SP2 - all updates current

Background: Ive had this computer in its current configuration for about 5 years now. I have had no problems with the system and have kept all updates current. About a month ago I bought a NETGEAR wireless router to set up a network at my new residence using the already set up desktop connected through a modem from the local telephone company. The wireless worked without problems for a few weeks then one night while the computer was hibernating it blue screened and autoatically restarted. Since that night every time I reboot, the system will run anywhere from 1 minute to 20 minutes before giving a blue screen and restarting.

Problem: After disabling the automatic restart I was able to read the stop error IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS. When I reboot and the system stays on long enough, I am able to send a windows error report which comes back as a problem most likely associated with my wireless network. I followed all of windows suggestions including updating all the firmware and drivers for the router and my computer but still no fix.

Oddity: The computer and wireless access work perfectly fine when I take the laptop to other networks including school, friend's houses, or WiFi hotspots. The computer will connect and remain that way the entire length of time I am connected. Also, the computer will work when I use it right next to the desktop computer and the router that is connected to it. If I attempt to move the computer to another room in the house it will blue screen almost immediately.

Fixes tried so far:
- I took the computer to BestBuys Geek Squad where they ran a diagnostic on the system. They found that all the hardware was working fine but the computer had some virus infections. They recommended an OS restore.

- I ran Norton AntiVirus and removed most of the viruses Geek Squad's diag found but it did not locate all of them.

- I returned the NETGEAR router and bought a Linksys router thinking maybe it was just faulty hardware but still the same result.

- As a last resort I reinstalled Windows XP with the original installation disc.

After reinstalling all the windows updates im still having the same issue. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I am out of ideas.

I have a limited knowlege of computers but I can usually get by. If I need to provide more information on the system or problem I can do that.

Thanks

does it give a driver name causing the blue screen.. if possible could you upload the latest .dump file in c:\windows\minidump

xehqter

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. After reading your post I reinstalled the w22n51 driver updates for my wireless card. My computer has been operating without failure for about 3 days now! I dont want to jinx it but, I think my problem has been solved. I guess my first attempt to install the updates failed or something. Again thank you for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back