Wireless Network - How to resume file transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirkon

Hi guys,

I have set up a wireless network in my house, my brother, sister, father and my laptop are connected.

Anyway, as far as I have seen, if a big file (or many smaller files) is being transferred between the computers (using the regular windows way 'shared folders'), sometimes it will stop somewhere in the proccess, I was wondering if there was any sort of program that would allow me to send files and resume them in case of a small disconnection between the computers.

thanks in advance!

Yeah thanks, I saw that it had an option to continue from the point of failure,

BUT, this thing is slower than a turtle! 1 MB takes about 3 minutes, im trying to move around about 3.2GB

Oh so now you want it fast :rolleyes:

Well, don't know. And I don't use that program myself. I only stated it because it's free.

I hope someone else may reply with other solutions (other than DVD Disc; Flash Reader; or External HardDrive of course ;) )

hum -- interesting.

Transporting files across Mapped Drives should be extremely reliable, as issues associated with Internet connections do not apply.
Anyone with a router I would think would be immune from ISP disconnect issues and
the DHCP / IP assignments would hold even under ISP the disconnect.

Musings on the issue; So what resources might impact LAN copies?
Free space on the target system
Memory shortage for I/O buffering
Any DoS (denial of service) issues from the LAN, including TCP reset
concurrent programs running on either source or target systems.​

hum -- interesting.

Transporting files across Mapped Drives should be extremely reliable, as issues associated with Internet connections do not apply.
Anyone with a router I would think would be immune from ISP disconnect issues and
the DHCP / IP assignments would hold even under ISP the disconnect.

Musings on the issue; So what resources might impact LAN copies?
Free space on the target system
Memory shortage for I/O buffering
Any DoS (denial of service) issues from the LAN, including TCP reset
concurrent programs running on either source or target systems.​

Well over the years, i've seen the exact opposite,
anyway, this isnt new gear, this is like a 3-4 year old router,
the computer im trying to transfer to has an edimax PCI wireless card.

I'm not sure the internet on the other computer even disconnects, but it has trouble keeping the connection alive for a big file (even.. 300+ MB)

this isnt a LAN copy, a LAN copy won't pose any problems, im transferring through wireless internet, which isn't so reliable (again, from what i've seen)

Boy, I sure got the wrong impression from your description --- sorry.

Until I put Vista on my main machine I'd used TotalCopy for years. Occationally it will crash (just itself not the OS) at the start of a transfer, but trying again always works. I did a comparison of the speed of transfers with it once and found it to be only slightly slower than Windows. I think they claim the exact opposite. In any case, its not going to be significantly slower like you are seeing with another program.

I use teracopy to copy over wireless network and I transfer very large files. It is free, just google it.

Actually teracopy will automatically handle your copy/move if you tell it to be your default handler, no need to drag and drop.

Well....

This one takes a bit more initial setup but if you're waiting for other things to work, look at a freeware and user friendly FTP implementation?

Look at freeware ALFTP which can run as both FTP client and server
- Drag & Drop files between the FTP server and client to upload or download
- Resumes file transfers after broken connections re-established
- User friendly interfaces

lol, TotalCopy again wins, small install, non invasive shell integration (still leaves Windows' copy as default), and pauses/resumes transfers.

Yes Kimsland, but he's never going to fix those, he's probably had that up for 3 years. There are other 'alternate' installs that others have made posted on his page for dl. The only bug I've ever came across is that it will occationally crash right at the start of the transfer, as in within a second, you just try it again, and it works. I've never had any file corruption problems using it and I've been using it for many many years.

Due to your repeat post :)

I thought we went over this TotalCopy presently has bugs (not spyware bugs though)

That sounds terrible. TotalCopy has shell integration and doesn't take over the regular copy. Its tiny, the copy progress box is the same size as the Windows one, and you can throttle/pause the transfer speed if you must.

Before you comment on something try it first. With Teracopy the shell integration is OPTIONAL, the progress box can be maximized to fill the screen, the progess box lists total and file by file progress, you can vary the buffer size and you can pause and who would want to throttle the speed, the faster the better, who has the time.

Edit: Oh and you can copy files faster. TeraCopy uses dynamically adjusted buffers to reduce seek times.

I'm not trying to sell it, I only use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back