Wireless Network Set-up question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick00ie

I have my laptop connected to my wireless router, working fine.

I bought a wireless usb adapter for another pc in my house hoping i could connect to the router or the laptop and use the internet on my pc.

I set-up the ssid,wep and network key on the usb adapter on my pc but i cannot connect to the router or the laptop to use the net on the pc.
From the pc it finds the ssid but only sends data out and receives no data.

My IP address on the laptop is 192.168.1.33
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
DG is 192.168.1.1

On PC is gets random ip addresses,subnet mask's and DG's.
I set it up manually to be the same as the laptop but it would not connect.

Can I wireless connect to the laptop from my pc if the wireless adapter in the laptop is already connected to the router?
Do i need to connect another wireless adapter to the laptop and then I can connect from my pc to the laptop and surf net on my pc?

Thanks,
Nick

You should be able to connect to the router.

Download and install the latest firmware for your router. Download and install the latest drivers for your USB wireless adapter.

If you are using software that came with the adapter, use the WIndows wireless fuctionality instead and vice versa,

Disable all wireless security and try again. If it works without encryption, then try playing around with different encryption methods. WEP is more compatible than WPA.

From the pc it finds the ssid but only sends data out and receives no data.

My IP address on the laptop is 192.168.1.33
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
DG is 192.168.1.1

On PC is gets random ip addresses,subnet mask's and DG's.
I set it up manually to be the same as the laptop but it would not connect.

This is typical behavior if your wireless connection is encrypted but the key provided on the client computer is incorrect. This might be a silly question, but is your wireless set up to require some form of authentication.... perhaps WEP or WPA? If so, are you certain you have typed it in correctly?

Nodsu is correct in saying WPA is less compatible than WEP. I would suggest disabling your encryption temporarily to troubleshoot. If you can't connect after disabling encryption, you can be fairly certain your computer/wireless card is to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back