Wireless networking help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dears,
Hello, hope all is well, i have a question before i go buy stuff. here is my situation
i have a small office, they finished the decorations and forgot to put network cables between rooms. My question is is it possible to do do what i will explain below? if yes, how.

Room1:
- ADSL connected to Modem
- Modem connected to the Wirless Router1 using a cable
- a computer connected to this router using a cable
- a laptop conencted wirelessly to this Router1

Room2:
- Have another wireless router2
- connect wirelss router2 to wireless router1 (WIRELESSLY)
- connec the computer in room2 using a wire to this router2

Is this possible?

If not, then i think you would suggest using an access point. Lets say i got this one, would things work like this?

Room2:
- Access point connects to router1
- computer connects to the accesspoint using a WIRE!

The point is, i am trying to make the two computers in room 1 and room 2 connect using wire! i need to use the wake-on-lan feature on these computers, thats why i am trying my best not to simply get a pci wireless adapter and put it in the other room.

Please help!

Below is what i need:

I don't believe using 2 Wireless routers is a good idea
There are issues with one only having DHCP enabled and the other not.
Also, it will be a little confusing when Laptop1 goes into Room2 (and visa-versa)

Your best option would be to use a "hi-gain antenna" centralized, that all computers can connect wirelessly to.
Here's some info on that: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesstips.mspx

It would be much easier all over, if you could hard wire through the wall (or roof), but I understand that this may not be practical (any longer)

Another point of interest is the "wake-on-lan" which concerns me under wireless (only) For security reasons I'd still prefer the hard wire to both PCs at least.

kimsland said:
I don't believe using 2 Wireless routers is a good idea
There are issues with one only having DHCP enabled and the other not.
Also, it will be a little confusing when Laptop1 goes into Room2 (and visa-versa)

Your best option would be to use a "hi-gain antenna" centralized, that all computers can connect wirelessly to.
Here's some info on that: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesstips.mspx

It would be much easier all over, if you could hard wire through the wall (or roof), but I understand that this may not be practical (any longer)

Another point of interest is the "wake-on-lan" which concerns me under wireless (only) For security reasons I'd still prefer the hard wire to both PCs at least.

Thanx for replying :) Now, there is no need to use a high speed antenna since the rooms are close to each other, my only problem is that:
1. I need to have wake up on lan, and using wirelss it simply doesnt work
2. i cannot drill a cable to the other room.

So, if i use an access point instead of the RouterB shown in the image above, would it work?

If you need another access point, then this won't be an issue
If just one wireless point won't work centralized.

Others may reply with what the best hardware to purchase is (as that part I don't know - except to ask your ISP which manufacture is the most compatible)

Anyway, that part is resolved then. :)

kimsland said:
If you need another access point, then this won't be an issue
If just one wireless point won't work centralized.

Others may reply with what the best hardware to purchase is (as that part I don't know - except to ask your ISP which manufacture is the most compatible)

Anyway, that part is resolved then. :)

ha? i did not understand what u meant, how is my issue resolved?:S

Are you telling me to simply buy an access point that talks to that router and connect this access point to the computer in room2?

Use one as a router, use the other as an access point. They can be on the
same subnet, just make one of the run DHCP and disable it on the other.
DHCP requests will be passed through one to the other via the wired ethernet
connection. An access point is basically 'dumb' in that all it does is pass
traffic from the wired network to/from the wireless clients connecting to
it.

2qxxpqx.jpg

Also you can use netstumbler to test your Wireless connectivity
It has many uses:

• Verify that your network is set up the way you intended.
• Find locations with poor coverage in your WLAN.
• Detect other networks that may be causing interference on your network.
• Detect unauthorized "rogue" access points in your workplace.
• Help aim directional antennas for long-haul WLAN links.
• Use it recreationally for WarDriving

Thanx for your reply "kimsland", but if i can put a cable from the router in room1 to the router in room2, then i'd have no problems, and i'd simply connect that cable to the computer directly.

Again, as in the attached photo on the 1st post, i need WIRELES connectivity between the two rooms. YET the PC in ROOM2 to be hard wired to the access point/router whichever would work. All this is to simply be able to use the WakeUpOnLan!

:( :( :( Is my question too complicated?

Is my question too complicated?
Yes for me it is.

After submitting the last reply, I though oh yeah wireless only! So sorry about that.

It should still work without the physical cable connecting the two, using bridging enabled, in the router setup.

Make sure to purchase two exactly the same brand routers though (or Router and wireless hub)

I'm worried about adding any more confusion here, so hopefully someone else may be able to reply and clear things up (for both of us!)

WDS - wireless distribution system would be better to run ethernet cable from the wireless router to another non wds enabled access point. The WDS is 100% wireless it makes wired devices (nodes) wireless. There are 4 ports for 4 wired devices to make them 100%. This is another way you could go. The WDS devices are also wireless extenders and wireless access points also called wireless bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back