Wireless networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a linksys router--wireless-g ADSL Gateway--model number wag54gs ver.1.1
which works ok when connected to my laptop by ethernet wire. my laptop is a
Acer Travelmate 4062 LMi. However my son has a similar laptop and cannot get
connected in other parts of the house or any part, without using the cable connection. My other son who has a sony laptop, and iphone, both of which can get connected with out cable connection. furthermore the range is very short .is there any way of boosting the signal so as to increase the range?

If you are not willing to upgrade the router, which i recomend, to a newer draft N, very good range, you could buy a wireless access point and just have your son connect to that or a wireless extender, they sell both.

If he upgrade router to wireless N, surely he'd then need wireless 'N' cards in each pc as well.
Wireless access point or wireless repeater would be a better idea.

If he upgrade router to wireless N, surely he'd then need wireless 'N' cards in each pc as well.
Wireless access point or wireless repeater would be a better idea.

On that subject....

Wouldn't he (or anyone) upgrading to "N" need to get the router and ALL N adapters from the same company to get what's claimed in terms of do-able speed/performance?

I've never seen that mentioned but am guessing is the case.... any comment?

If you are not willing to upgrade the router, which i recomend, to a newer draft N, very good range, you could buy a wireless access point and just have your son connect to that or a wireless extender, they sell both.

Many thanks will take that on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back