TechSpot

Wireless networking

By joh
Oct 7, 2008
  1. i have a linksys router--wireless-g ADSL Gateway--model number wag54gs ver.1.1
    which works ok when connected to my laptop by ethernet wire. my laptop is a
    Acer Travelmate 4062 LMi. However my son has a similar laptop and cannot get
    connected in other parts of the house or any part, without using the cable connection. My other son who has a sony laptop, and iphone, both of which can get connected with out cable connection. furthermore the range is very short .is there any way of boosting the signal so as to increase the range?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,944   +167

What is the OS (Operating System) on each of these laptops?

3. guitto

guitto TS Rookie Posts: 95

If you are not willing to upgrade the router, which i recomend, to a newer draft N, very good range, you could buy a wireless access point and just have your son connect to that or a wireless extender, they sell both.

4. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 743

If he upgrade router to wireless N, surely he'd then need wireless 'N' cards in each pc as well.
    Wireless access point or wireless repeater would be a better idea.

5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

On that subject....

Wouldn't he (or anyone) upgrading to "N" need to get the router and ALL N adapters from the same company to get what's claimed in terms of do-able speed/performance?

I've never seen that mentioned but am guessing is the case.... any comment?

6. joh

joh TS Rookie Topic Starter

Many thanks will take that on board.

7. joh

joh TS Rookie Topic Starter

windows xp

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.