TechSpot

Wireless printer slows down network

By vegasgmc
Mar 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I just set up an SMC 300mbps wireless router and I have a 300mbps wireless N adapter on my notebook. Network and Sharing Center on the notebook show wireless speed 270-300 but when I add my Canon wireless printer to the network speed drops to 130. If I take the printer off the network speed goes back up. The printers adapter is wireless G. Is there a work around for this? Should I have gotten a dual band router? I have another wireless N router. Would bridging them help?Thanks

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,693   +86

Don't mix G and N on the same APN's You now understand why this is.

802.11n @ 40MHz @ 300mbps (all N devices) APN's for N only

802.11g @ 20MHz @ 54mbps (all G devices) APN's for G only

This is the best way to go about this. So pickup another wireless router or ap if you can. Those with 2T/2R would be more ideal than 1T/1R ANTs for 802.11g @ 20MHz.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,450   +324

very good :) you can first move to a wired connection for the printer, but I've seen
    some of these not support the full feature set when wired - - crazy.

so the alternative would be
    Code:
    modem===Router-N-Mode---your wifi systems
                 |
                 + ---- Router-G-Mode - - - wifi-printer.connection

4. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,764

Thanks. I lucked out. The usb port on my router thats supposed to be for storage is actually a print server.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.