TechSpot

Wireless router as access point

By BigKahuna
Sep 2, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a d-link wireless router as the main router. i have netgear wirless router that i want to use as an access point. will this work and how would i go about doing this?
  2. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TS Maniac Posts: 480

If you can disable the routing functionality on the netgear router to make it a plain old switch (not sure that this can be done) and then can connect the netgear 'switch' to the d-link router via a cable, it might work for you. But, I am highly doubtful...
  3. BigKahuna

BigKahuna TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 81

do i have to connect the routers together with a cable? the netgear that i want to use as the access point cannot pick up the other routers signals
  4. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TS Maniac Posts: 480

Yes, you will need to cable them together, but first note my original caveat: you must turn the Netgear device into a plain switch by disabling its routing functionality. If you are unable to do this, there is no sense in cabling them together.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.