Wireless router connection to ADSL router

Status
Not open for further replies.

rross48

ok so i hav an adsl router modem. It has 1 ethernet output and 1 usb output.
I bought a wireless access point 2day and tried 2 connect it up so i can connect to the net on my laptop.

The adsl modem is connected to the desktop via USB. and then connected to the wireless access point via ethernet. However the access point does not seem 2 b picking up the adsl modem. The modem can be used with the ethernet and usb cable at the same time.. But the router has no internet connection. any1 know wat i need 2 set up or anything? thnx

adsl modem router - iConnect access 621
Wireless access point- TP-LINK TL WA601G

Diagram of wat im trying 2 do---

Desktop -----USB----- ADSL
modem/router ------ETHERNET-------Wireless
access point ------Laptop

You might need to check the settings of the ADSL modem, perhaps it has a Mac filtering option enabled which prevents another computer from connecting to it without first adding the Mac address in a list of authorized devices on the modem.

Also in the WiFi router's web interface, can you see the status of the Ethernet port ?

rross48 said:
hum; I think I understand:
Code:
Adsl---Modem+Router--(usb)--Desktop
              +
              +--- (ethernet) ---  A.P.
This doesn't work. You may use EITHER the USB or Ethernet slots on the modem, but not BOTH
Get a simple switch and wire it like
Code:
Adsl---Modem+Router--(ethernet)--switch---Desktop
                                     +
                                     +--- (ethernet) ---  A.P.
Enable DHCP in the router and all devices will be automatically configured for you.

rross48 said:
ok so i hav an adsl router modem. It has 1 ethernet output and 1 usb output.
I bought a wireless access point 2day and tried 2 connect it up so i can connect to the net on my laptop.

The adsl modem is connected to the desktop via USB. and then connected to the wireless access point via ethernet. However the access point does not seem 2 b picking up the adsl modem. The modem can be used with the ethernet and usb cable at the same time.. But the router has no internet connection. any1 know wat i need 2 set up or anything? thnx

adsl modem router - iConnect access 621
Wireless access point- TP-LINK TL WA601G

Diagram of wat im trying 2 do---

First off the bat, you need to make sure that the modem/router has internet connection.

Second the wireless access point needs to be assigned a static IP address not auto or DHCP. You want this IP address to be fixed no changing.. That's why you use static on WAP.

Once you make that a Static IP with matching subnet and default gateway (router IP) in the WAP then go to the router change the device for WAP from DHCP to Static IP or Non- DHCP client devices.

hum; very interesting, as I've never had to use a static address on an Access Point.

jobeard is right. You cannot use both the USB and the Ethernet connections on the modem. It is one or the other on any modem that I have ever seen. You need a switch or a router to connect more than one computer to a DSL or cable modem, unless the modem comes with a router built in (in which case, it would have multiple Ethernet sockets on it to plug the network cables into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back