TechSpot

Wireless Router Interference

By coroner7
May 4, 2006
  1. Hi everyone! I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and if there is a fix for it. I have a Linksys wireless router set up in my office and my tablet pc has a built-in wireless modem. Things were going great until someone else set up a wireless network within range of my signal, and now my tablet pc switches back and forth between the two wireless signals and sometimes has difficulty maintaining a connection.

Is there a setting that I can tweak to maintain a constant connection to my router? Thanks in advance!

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,317   +618

you can make YOUR router the preferred connection AND disable auto-connect to
    non-preferred. These settings are associated with the Wireless Adaptor.

chklist:
    1) disable SSID Broadcasting
    2) enable encryption

3. coroner7

coroner7 TS Rookie Topic Starter

sounds good. I'll try it. I already have encryption enabled. Does it matter whether I have a static IP or dynamic IP?

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You should also check that your network on a different channel. It is best to have wifi networks 5 channels apart a la if the other network is 6, set yours to 1 or 11.

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

I'm quite interested in this as well, how is it possible to check the channel of a nearby WiFi connection without access to the router's settings ?

6. jobeard

not at all

7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Uhm.. Tell your computer to scan for wifi networks and see the channel number in the results? That is you have decent wifi software :)

You can also connect to that network and see what channel your interface uses then.

8. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

The WiFi enabled computer in the house uses a Dlink WiFi card & the Dlink software is quite crappy. I just checked & I cannot seem to find where the network's channel is mentionned.

9. jobeard

The Toshiba ConfigFree software shows the channel, {open/encrypted}, MAC
    with a mouse hover over the ssid

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.