TechSpot

Wireless Router Interference

By coroner7
May 4, 2006
  1. Hi everyone! I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and if there is a fix for it. I have a Linksys wireless router set up in my office and my tablet pc has a built-in wireless modem. Things were going great until someone else set up a wireless network within range of my signal, and now my tablet pc switches back and forth between the two wireless signals and sometimes has difficulty maintaining a connection.

Is there a setting that I can tweak to maintain a constant connection to my router? Thanks in advance!

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,468   +327

you can make YOUR router the preferred connection AND disable auto-connect to
    non-preferred. These settings are associated with the Wireless Adaptor.

chklist:
    1) disable SSID Broadcasting
    2) enable encryption

3. coroner7

coroner7 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

sounds good. I'll try it. I already have encryption enabled. Does it matter whether I have a static IP or dynamic IP?

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You should also check that your network on a different channel. It is best to have wifi networks 5 channels apart a la if the other network is 6, set yours to 1 or 11.

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I'm quite interested in this as well, how is it possible to check the channel of a nearby WiFi connection without access to the router's settings ?

6. jobeard

not at all

7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Uhm.. Tell your computer to scan for wifi networks and see the channel number in the results? That is you have decent wifi software :)

You can also connect to that network and see what channel your interface uses then.

8. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

The WiFi enabled computer in the house uses a Dlink WiFi card & the Dlink software is quite crappy. I just checked & I cannot seem to find where the network's channel is mentionned.

9. jobeard

The Toshiba ConfigFree software shows the channel, {open/encrypted}, MAC
    with a mouse hover over the ssid

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.