Wireless Router - Which one is best for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to get a wireless router for home use. I am currently hooked up to a cable modem through my cable company. I have a laptop computer from work that I bring home to work at night. I do not do any gaming.

What type and/or brand of wireless router should I look at buying? I would also like to see if I can print to my printer that is currently hooked up to my home desktop computer. Is that even possible?

I have read through past forum threads but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

In need of help.

owillis

The one with the best price and the highest speed, that includes WPA security. LinkSys, DLink, 2Wire, TrendNet, Belkin, or my favorite, Netgear N 802.11n
N is the latest fastest standard... and the price has dropped a lot.

You will need a print server for your printer, which can be as much as $80 extra.

Many new printers come with the W designation on the end showing they are already equipped with wireless.

Raybay, why do they need a print server if the printer is hooked up to a desktop PC?

Owillis28, you should be able to share the printer on the network through your desktop and print via your laptop etc.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but here is a pretty solid router.

Wireless and Wired Router Charts

owillis28 said:
I would like to get a wireless router for home use. I am currently hooked up to a cable modem through my cable company. I have a laptop computer from work that I bring home to work at night. I do not do any gaming.

What type and/or brand of wireless router should I look at buying? I would also like to see if I can print to my printer that is currently hooked up to my home desktop computer. Is that even possible?

I have read through past forum threads but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

In need of help.

owillis

Here's the list of them all wired and wireless that have been tested for speed.

WAN (internet) to LAN (home pc network)

On the chart you'll see a blue bar.. The higher number is the better the throughput is...

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/

First
$169 Dlink DGL-4500 wireless dual band A/N 2.4GHz/5GHz and signal band B/G 2.4Ghz
Test Drive the Web Admin Web Admin Configuration: http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/dgl4500/login.html

Second
$104 Trendnet 633GR wireless signal band B/G/N 2.4GHz
Test Drive the Web Admin Configuration: http://www.trendnet.com/emulators/TEW-633GR/index.html

Third*
$119 - Dlink DIR-655 wireless signal band B/G/N 2.4GHz
Test Drive the Web Admin Web Admin Configuration: http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/dir655/login.html

From the top down is... The rest you can google to see how much they are..
Dlink has be rock soild with 1 year protection, but Trendnet has 3 years protection
If you do not do any gaming as you said then *Dlink DIR-655 would be the best bet.
But Trendnet is slightly faster but not by much.

Before you decide which one you want, I've provided you a link: Test Drive the Web Admin Web Admin Configuration this will give you and idea of the features found on these wireless routers. More like a test drive of the routers features that you would have to deal with or need. Enjoy and there is no password needed to try them out.

I don't see any report that you already has wireless on the printer. Without a printer that has a W at the end of the model name, you will need a wireless or Bluetooth print server. On most models the last digit on the model number is either W for Wireless or N for network ready.

raybay said:
I don't see any report that you already has wireless on the printer. Without a printer that has a W at the end of the model name, you will need a wireless or Bluetooth print server. On most models the last digit on the model number is either W for Wireless or N for network ready.

They don't need anything for their printer Raybay. They have it attached to their desktop using whatever data interface it does. They can share the printer on a LAN and access it via their laptop through the desktop.

owillis28 said:

In need of help.

owillis

If you have a USB2.0 printer you can leave it connected to the PC you have connected to.

If you have a network printer it would have a wired ethernet port.
If you have a wireless network printer it would have both wired and wireless features.

Do you have such a printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back