wireless streaming between pc and laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiedude

Hi all

I am trying to stream data, audio and video files from the PC in my bedroom to my laptop in the living room but don't know how to do this! Can you please help?

I have tried using Nero MediaHome (as it works with my PS3) but don't know how to get my laptop to "see" my PC! Do i need a particular type of software installed on my laptop?

Thanks in advance

GBPVR requires .NET 2.0 Frameworks

Go to www.gbpvr.com and download the latest freeware version onto the PC you want to act as a server. Doesn't have to be a server OS you can use any of the clients OS.

GBPVR - PC Server (my bedroom PC) you media can be on this PC or any PC
GBPVR - PC Clients (Laptop in the living room)

So the way this works GBPVR will be running on the PC in your bedroom. You can then send media, music, photos, internet radio and videos to your laptop in the living room wireless or wired.

SAGETV does the same thing uses Java Client
www.sagetv.com 15 free trial period

If you want to start recording off ant, catv or satv then you new tuner cards from www.hauppauge.com. PVR-150 is recommend for Analog Cable, HVR-160for HDTV.

Here is Windows MediaCenter you can connect your PC to your TV to view Live TV an etc.. You can do with with GBPVR and SAGETV also.

Neither of these will work as I don't have a video capture device in my PC. Is there any other way of simply making the files stored on my PC visible to my laptop so I can use them remotely?

You don't need a capture device it will work.. I do it prior before capture device and it works. If you want to view videos you have on your HDD.

I only sugguested these program since you would have a nice GUI for you to view your media on. There are other software out there but GPVR is better and free. AGain no capture card is needed to playback video The Capture card is use to record media for playback (optional)

I've tried it but the installation failed! I'm running XP x64, could this be causing the problem? Do you know of any other software that i can try? Ideally i need something that will let me access files other than video and music, such as .iso image files etc.

If i set the folders on my PC to be shared over the network should I be able to see them, and use them, on my laptop?

I might use that myself as it suppose to be great... I didn't know you're using XP 64-bit... I did try that with GBPVR I couldn't get it to work right. Some members on that site who have say it works.

How does VLC work? I have installed it on my PC, how do i access it on my laptop? Does it have to be installed on both machines?

You have to put it on both the PC as the server the one in your bedroom and the client the living room laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back