TechSpot

Wireless troubles when gaming online.

By Mike1981
Jan 8, 2006
  1. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

I have had trouble with wireless gaming for quite some time now, in fact ever since I built my last computer. I have a home network, a laptop (dell inspiron 5160) and a desktop (specs below) which both share a wireless connection, the laptop can game fine without any problems the desktop keeps getting "connection interrupted" every 2-3 minutes in online games (quake3, quake4, BF2, CSS etc) and my computer will freeze my ping shoots up to the 900's and this lasts for about 4-5 seconds. I have tried a million things and posted at other forums with no one being able to put there fingher on what is casuing this.

I have tried a new router, I used to have a belkin router and PCI network card now I have a netgear modem/router and usb adaptor but still the same problem, I have copied the settings from the laptop that I use into my desktop with still the same trouble, the laptops does use some different protocols that my desktop dosent have but i have all the main ones I should need, I have tried switiching from XP pro to Xp home with no luck, I have tried a fresh install of home twice and still no luck, I have tried various settings in TCP/IP>properties>advanced and still no luck, I have ran a home network before with other computers in the past all which XP home and even with quite a cheap modem/router and no problems what so ever. All the problems are with the computer I have built (specs below).

Can any advice me in anyway on what might be the casue of this problem?
    if so I would be forever grateful.

My specs
    ===============
    Asus A8N-E motherboard
    2GB corsair DDR400 RAM
    XFX 6800GT 256mb card
    80GB barracuda HDD
    Antec 480w cool & quiet PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 /3200 CPU
    Creative 24bit sound card
    AOL 1mb broadband
    ================

Thanks
    Mike

EDIT: just better add, when I run these games in single player mode offline i dotn get these problems and I have tried taking the battery out of my cordless phone and it was still the same problem.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.