Wireless works, but not LAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ~

I am loosing my cool as I try to get my Windows XP, Pavillion dv-1000 dust pan of a laptop to connect to the net. I can go to a cafe and use wirelss, but my home connection is LAN only, and it wants to connect, takes some time then firefox, or explorer sputs out they can't locate server. Two bars of connection fill on Explorer before it quits. I use my friend's mac and she can connect no problem. I have turned firewall off, and repaired connection, no luck.
Last i used a LAN connection was with a secure network and I had to reset my ip address. Do I need to do that again ?
There is no security on this network, and i can bypass the router and still no luck.

-Lev

First thing I would check is in Device Manager - under Network Adapter section - look for errors and check the drivers

At home, are you attempting a wireless connection to the LAN or a wired connection?

If you have both interfaces (WiFi + wired NIC) on the laptop and flip-flop between one
and the other, typically you need to DISABLE the interface that is NOT being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back