Wireless zero connection setup

ahmado

Recently, i tried to install "wireless zero connection" on my windows 7 pc. But when i try to start the service, it says:

Windows could not start Wireless Zero Connection service on Local Computer
Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

What should i do to solve it ? Do i need to setup wireless zero connection again ? if yes, how ?

Thanks for any help

Can you explain what happen prior? Are you installing a new wireless adapter? Best you delete the wireless adapter and driver and reboot Windows 7. Re-install driver then the adapter again.

Ok, may i ask a question. In windows 7, which service should i have for wireless connection to work, is it WLAN autoconfig or Wireless zero connection ?
I already had the WLAN autoconfig present and i started it and put it to "automatic".
Is there any changes in the registry that i should make so that my wireless connection will work ?

Thank you

I hope this will help us get to the solution. On typing ipconfig/all in cmd, different adapters show up:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Hafiz>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hafiz-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.invalid

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.invalid
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet
NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-D1-44-4A-5E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b84d:58e3:c007:ddec%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.1(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 16, 2010 1:56:16 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 22, 2146 8:43:24 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234887633
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-F1-3D-B5-00-19-D1-44-4A-5E

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.domain.invalid:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.invalid
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

Note Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet this is your wired connection.

What did changed on the system? The wired is showing the wrong IP set. Under the Network and Internet | Network and Sharing Center
I need to know what you were doing to have caused the wireless LAN adapter to to show up in ipconfig /all. Also Under the device manager is there a exclamation point or red circle with white X present for network adapters (wireless) in your case?

Uninstall the wireless adapter driver. You need to fixed the wired connection so that the IP is showing in sequence. below get that working then test to see if you can see LAN systems and get on the internet also. Once that is done then move on to the internet. You might need to run the Advanced System Care Free on your system to fix anything screwy in the registry or other issues. First before you can fix the wireless. Otherwise the driver might now load or install correctly. Once this is done use the software that came with the wireless utility if you still have that same issue.

To me it sounds like the third-party wireless client adapter utility is overriding windows wireless management thus why your getting that error. One has to cancel out the other.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wired LAN

If you have your wireless router set to 192.168.254.1 then this is the issue you have with the below IPv4 below. If you have the wireless router set 192.168.254.254 and then the range is screwy for DHCP. Best to let the wireless router end in .1 Range of the DHCP from .100 to .200. Static IP range is from .2 to .99. This is how you should do it. Change the 3rd number to .254 if you prefer but the 4th number should be in sequence being the wireless router should be .1.

issue view

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.1(Preferred) <this should DHCP IP for your system

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254
Primary Win Server.............:192.168.254.254

fix view

example: for Wireless Router
Wireless Router IP: 192.168.20.1
System IP address assigned by wireless router: 192.168.20.50

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.50(Preferred) <this should DHCP IP for your system

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.1
Primary Win Server.............:192.168.20.1

There is only "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet" which is appearing under my network adapters in the device manager.
My gateway is 192.168.254.254. How can i fix it as you explained it above, can you tell in details what to do exactly

Is any of these adapters associated with wireless ? if yes, which one ?
Your help is much appreciated

Are you using Wireless Router? You can go into the Web Admin and change the default which is for your 192.168.254.254 to 192.168.254.1 Sounds like you have some sort of cable , dsl or fiber modem? How do you have your setup? Go into the system BIOS reboot the system and press the key to let you get into setup for BIOS. Look for your wireless adapter if it's built-in? If it's not then no need to into the BIOS. Who makes the router and laptop? Which model is the laptop? Was it working prior to this issue? Did you have pest control issue with malware/virus/worm on the system?

Yes iam using a router that has a wireless feature. The wireless used to work when i was using windows XP. When i changed to windows 7, the WLAN led light doesn't go on.
The router iam using is Siemens Gigaset SE 568. The laptop that iam trying to get a wireless connection to is a Toshiba A300. The laptop is fine and used to work on wireless networks before. On typing radar, it shows many networks and a near one called 0 bps.

How can i change the gateway ?

On going to the BIOS, i found nothing about wireless.

Yes iam using a router that has a wireless feature. The wireless used to work when i was using windows XP. When i changed to windows 7, the WLAN led light doesn't go on.
The router iam using is Siemens Gigaset SE 568. The laptop that iam trying to get a wireless connection to is a Toshiba A300. The laptop is fine and used to work on wireless networks before. On typing radar, it shows many networks and a near one called 0 bps.

How can i change the gateway ?

On going to the BIOS, i found nothing about wireless.

Your modem/ DSL router is from your ISP. That sounds like it's internal setup through them. You need to check with them if you can change the IP range of your modem/DSL router. It might be the way they have it configured. I would leave it as is then.

Toshiba A300 had original XP on it. You upgraded it to Windows 7. Did you get the drivers for your onboard wireless? Where is the WLAN lite on the router or on your laptop that's not coming on? Are you using USB wireless adapter? When you do a Windows 7 update do you see the driver for your wireless device as option to install. You might have to buy USB wireless adapter to this laptop, if the issue can't be solved.

Let me clear something here,
iam using a desktop pc which is connected to the router by a wired connection. The Toshiba laptop is the one iam trying to connect to through wireless. The WLAN light on the router is not going on instead of enabling the wireless in the settings of the gateway. All drivers on both computers are up to date.
I think i can change the ip range through the gateway. What values should i write ?

Before proceeding further, is your wireless turned on, on your router? Your comment suggests its not? This needs to be setup before you can connect with wireless.

Assuming it is switched on, and broadcasting its SSID (wireless name), do you see it in the wireless list on your taskbar by the clock?

You don't need to use Wireless Zero Configuration Utility to run wireless, you just need the following:

SSID broadcast name (the name of your wireless network)
The security protocol used: e.g. WEP, WPA etc
The password to connect.

I personally think your overly complicating matters by using this utility when you could just do it the normal way - Its much easier than the way your trying.

In regards to your wireless, "ipconfig /all" is not showing your wireless adapter. Connect your ethernet lead to laptop, and run Windows update. Check to see if your hardware has drivers available through this update utility.

Changing settings when something is not working, and your not sue why rarely solves the problem - It just creates more.

I enabled my wireless through the gateway and did all what you said but really can't get the wireless LED light to get on in the router. Also my laptop is not detecting my wireless network that i have created.
In the device manager--> network adapter, it only shows Realtek 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

I really appreciate your help

Then you have two problems:

1. your wireless router is not correctly configured (assuming you haven't deliberately hidden the SSID broadcast by selecting it to do so in the wireless options of the router). On most wireless routers, the wireless light remains on while it is activated, and flashes when data is being transfered. Some routers use traffic light colours to define the status of wireless.

2. Your wireless card isn't being recognised.

Before the wireless on the laptop can be sorted, you need to confirm the wireless router is working correctly.

So, have you set up wireless settings in the wireless router previously? Also, what is the make and model of your wireless router so I can confirm its correctly setup.

Yes i had set up wireless when i had windows xp and it was working. Now iam working with windows 7 and it is not working. I have Siemens Gigaset SE 568

Thank you

OP said it was working prior to Windows 7. I say reset the modem/wireless/router if that wireless light doesn't come on then contact the ISP if you are renting that box from them? If not then that has to be check or replaced by them if you're under rental agreement.

If everything else wired connect then the router on the wired side is working. Wireless light if off also means there is issue in the configuration. Do you know how to get into the configuration?

Yes i do. I called them and they said they believe that i need a pc technecian to check my computer. Besides i returned it to factory settings and then re-configured it but then nothing new happened

Go to Toshiba site and see if they have a wireless driver for your A300 for Windows 7? Before right now you don't have that wireless adapter listed when you do a ipconfig /all You only see the wired adapter.

So you did reset the modem/wireless dsl router and it's still doing it. If you rent the box tell the ISP to come out to replace it. But you need to get the wireless laptop working. Did you download the Toshiba driver for 7 for that laptop. If non are available then you have to get it from MS. If you still can't get one then you need to purchase a USB dongle wireless adapter.

The Toshiba laptop is up to date and was working on wireless before few days when i was in a different country. I think i have no options left :)

The Toshiba laptop is up to date and was working on wireless before few days when i was in a different country. I think i have no options left :)

Okay then you have it! What you can do is either have the ISP replace the modem/wireless dsl router or you can keep that disable the radio in it and buy ESR9850 and use that hardwired AP for wireless. That should be available were you are. See this.

No worries, but Tipstir desevrves the credit really.

Let us know how you get on once the technician's have looked at your router. :)

Back