Witcher 2, high GPU temps

By andy06shake
May 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Started playing Witcher 2 and i am experiencing extremly high GPU temps 85c-90c during the cut scenes and 70c-88c while playing. The card idles at 50c-55c runiing 2 24" monitors. My CPU tops out at only 42c-48c and idles at 38c-42c. I can tell that this title is GPU intensive but my EVGA GTX 570 is a relitivley new card and i would think should only be averaging around 70c with this title.

I have an Antec 900 case with 1 200mm top mounted fan and 4 120mm back, side and front mounted fans. The case and GPU are also dust free and clean as a whistle so air flow should be optimum.

I am running EVGA precision with the fan speed set to maximum (85% cant go any higher for some reason) and the game set to 1980*1050 with everything on medium. Can anyone tell me if these temperatures are acceptable/safe, and if anyone else is experiencing such high temperatures with this game?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

What are you using to monitor the GPU temps? I would suspect that the temps are actually okay. If you are not having game play issues, I would not worry about the temps
  3. andy06shake

andy06shake TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 326

Im using EVGA Precision latest version, also its an EVGA card i have so i would imagine the software is reporting the correct temps. There are no issues with game play, 60-70fps, no artifacts. What i dont get is why the temps are higher during the cuts scenes. I would think more GPU processing power would be used while actualy playing. I know the max temp for these cards is 105c but in my opinion 90c cutting it quite fine. I dont know why EVGA Precision wont let me take the fan speed up to 100% as there was no problem in doing so with my old card a GTX275. Anybody any ideas?
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

Any GPU/CPU temp reading accuracy is affected by the motherboard... I still will advise you to disregard the temp readings altogether and enjoy your games. You have a good airflow case. Let it do it's work. I have the Antec 300
  5. andy06shake

andy06shake TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 326

I have an ASUS P5N32-E mainboard. Thanks for your advise Tmagic650. Im going to upgrade in July anyway, so cant wait to go Sandybridge and Core I7.
  6. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +119

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.