With your reviews can you...

MerlinFist

Hi, I am avid reader of your website and find when you do the game reviews GPU comparsions very very helpful.

However would it be possible if you could include a sli section especially for the older gen cards such as my 8800gt in sli, its a bit of a pig guessing how well an older card like a 8800gt in sli will run these newer games.

I am still seeing some good perforances still from my ageing rig, but want to sqeeze every last drop of perforance before I upgrade. I just cant justify buying a newer card when I am seeing some good performance from the sli set up i have, I know looking at my rig the cpu is in for a overhaul, but thats another thread.

Thanks

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=8800gt+in+sli
For newer games, depending on resolution, you can expect about 180% - 195%of a single card.
Reviewing costs money; don't expect people to review old irrelevant card setups just for your sake, especially since you can just estimate based on other games.

However would it be possible if you could include a sli section especially for the older gen cards such as my 8800gt in sli, its a bit of a pig guessing how well an older card like a 8800gt in sli will run these newer games.Thanks

You are limiting any worthwhile response by stating, "I won't replace my video cards". The point quickly becomes moot, if you either buy the game and it runs OK or not, or leave it in the store because you don't know.

HK has a point, it would be impractical to review every conceivable configuration of card (s), boards, CPUs, memory, etc.

My feeling is, that whether you choose to call it a "pig" or not, two 8800GTs in SLI is still fairly potent, and probably meets at least minimum requirements for any game around.

....an you left any info that would warrant a meaningful response, such as :

What resolution do you game at?
What level of detail do you game at/want to game at?
What type of games ?
Are you willing to upgrade your PSU as well?
Is DX 11 an important feature to you?

Caps right, two 8800 GT's in SLI meets/exceeds the minimum requirements for any game out there, On the other hand if you want to play metro 2033 on high at 1920, you wont even get close.

Thanks for all your replies,

Red, I have a 800w psu, so no probs there really, I game at 1650 and like playing anything from civ v, mass effect 2, crysis etc, eye candy games. I like everything on max settings which I seem to be able to do in dx9, however the dx10/11 the cpu and graphics cards do struggle a bit.

To answer capcranky and kitty, well this section of the forum is suggestions/feedback for the website, however you have made some valid points I have taken them on board.

Thanks for your suggestion MerlinFist, and it's great to hear you enjoy our performance reviews.

The thing about reviewing older generation boards is that as much as we want to include many of them, it's only practical we eventually drop them to leave a few reference models that will let you extrapolate from those results.

For example, your 8800GT board is now several generations old, but in essence it's a 9800GT, which we have included in all of our recent performance reviews, even this week's Medal of Honor GPU/CPU performance review:
https://www.techspot.com/review/324-medal-of-honor-performance/

On a similar fashion, it doesn't make sense that we keep including the Radeon HD 4830, 4850, 4870 and 4890 when they belong to the same generation and are for the most part the same GPU.

As for including SLI/Crossfire results for older boards, that's a entirely different ball game. We don't even keep two cards of the older GPUs to make those tests, and adding up to the number of GPU configurations would take so much additional time that it would render the performance review irrelevant by the time the article is ready.

Back