WLM will not open

STAVOsanguinius

Ok this problem is realy starting to annoy me.
Everytime I open up Windows Live Messenger, I can put in my details to log in but as soon as I click to log in I get an error report come up on screen saying that WLM has had to close suddenly because of a problem.

I am using Windows XP SP3 on my computer as well. I'm not entirely sure what version of WLM is currently installed, sorry.

I've attempted to repair the problem from control panel, I've uninstalled and reinstalled and tried differnt versions. Still no success with the issue.
Really need help with it so I've attached a print screen of the error messages details.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• WLM error report.jpg
    WLM error report.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi, lets have a look into your system. Follow these instructions to post an HJT log.

Download and install HJT

When the TrendMicro HJT install box appears, double click on the HJTInstall.exe. Click on Install.
* It will be installed by default here: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
* A shortcut to the application will also be placed on your Desktop.
* The program will open automatically after installation.
* The folder HijackThis is where you will find the HJT logs that you save.
* The first time you open HijackThis, check the Main Menu button at the bottom center. When the main menu appears check the box "Show this window when I start HijackThis".
* Click on "Do a system scan and save logfile." When the log pops up in Notepad, copy and paste that file back here as a New Message in this forum.

The use of HJT is purely for observation please do not try to fix anything with it or you may damage your system. If I see any suspicious files I will advise you to open a new thread in the Malware forum so an expert can help clean up your PC.

If you have any problems installing or running HJT please describe what happened.

Here you go. The log info is here as you asked. I'm guessing that I've done it right. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    16.2 KB · Views: 9
Just in passing, I notice you are using Norton defences - this has quite a poor reputation and can often trip up other legitimate software. It might be worth your while to first download alternative anti-virus, firewall and so forth (plenty of advice on other parts of this forum)

Then close any on-line connections, uninstall Norton and install alternative protection. Finally reboot.

It may have a bad reputation from other people but it's never failed me before. I haven't had any problems with it the years I've been using it.
I know you're just saying but I personally have never had a problem while using Norton.

This would be a good alternative Anti Virus: Microsoft Security Essentials

I'll check out the rest of your HJT log tomorrow. The most obvious thing I can see is that you have a large number or processes that are set to run a start up which will impair your systems performance. I'll give further advise on this later.

Try the changeover with the Anti Virus and see if it improves anything.

I know it's stubborn but I've just renewed my subscription for it so I'm not removing it. And I know there are an awful lot of random processes at start up. I shut down a number of them as soon as it's booted up though. I've been meaning to stop them from loading at start up but not entirely sure what can safely be cancelled.

As you will have purchased a licence for Norton you should have no problem swapping back to it. It would be worthwhile to try this just to eliminate it as a possible cause. Norton is good Anti Virus but I have seen it cause problems in the past due to conflicts with other software.

I'll get back here with my findings from your HJT log.

I guess I could try but I'd rather not just yet in case you do find the problem and it isn't that. It's never caused me problems with WLM before though thats the thing whihc is detering me from uninstalling.

The art of debugging consists largely of eliminating every possibility, however unlikely. As Mark56 says, having eliminated it as a possibility, you can always put it back.

It is almost always quicker to start from the absolute minimum, then add things one at a time until the fault pops up again (if it does, then you have found the problem).

I can remember solving someone's very occasional unexplained lockup by disconnecting a CD reader - it was never in use at the time, but it was faulty. Many people running MS Server 2008 and finding it slowly grind to a halt solved their problem by removing Kaspersky antivirus (specifically recommended for servers, but a dud update wrecked things for many business users). How many times do we hear, 'I never had any trouble with it before....'

I have now finished looking through your HJT log and have found suspicious entries. Bandoo and Searchqu, these are untrustworthy and should be removed with the help of a Malware expert. As I said earlier you also have a large number of programs running at startup that are not required and will be slowing down your systems performance.

Please start a new thread in the Malware forum to get the help you need, make sure you read all the instructions, start here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Ok as I thought, it wasn't norton causing trouble. I uninstalled that bandoo. No idea what it was. I can't seem to find that Searchqu thing though. I'll keep looking though and hopefully manage to get rid of it.
WLM is working now though so thank you so much! It really does mean a lot to me.

Back