WMP Does not play nice with new system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to trouble shoot a problem for some time now. Windows Media Player 10 does very odd things to me as far as system resources go.
System Specs:
Windows MCE 2005
AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Asus A8N SLI
Corsair XMS 2gb
6600GT gfx

Windows operates fairly smooth, the problem I can see has to do with AV related stuff. WMP will work great for about 5 minutes, then CPU usage goes to 50 and stays at 50 (im guessing its maxing out one of my cores?) the memory just starts racking up, from 18 M it just keeps going up ... next you know 38, then 48 , then up to 90, and it goes up about 150 MB of mem usage and again 50 percent on CPU, this ofcourse makes everything sloooow and I cant even change the volume after about 15 minutes. Until I go to end the process of wmplayer.exe. When I use winamp i see normal results for resource usage. Why does windows media player HOSE my system? Also WMP will not close correctly usually, if I have been playing music for 10 minutes before crap hits the fan and basically locks up my system I click the X and music keeps right on playing until I manually end it in Task Manager.

I have reinstalled windows a few diff times. I RMA'd my RAM back to newegg SAME damn problem. I dont have spare parts to swap in and out because of the new cpu socket 939 for my X2. I am guessing its motherboard related now.

Thanks.

You can also use mplayer2 (.exe) instead of WMP.It`s WMP lite,without all the vizualization c***.It should be in the WMP folder.

but why on my old hardware would it work fine, not taking up copacious amounts of ram and cpu cycles? i do use winamp, but i like some features of WMP that winamp doesnt have, like a cooler looking library.
I just dont think I call it a problem with WMP because it seems pretty severe.
I could be wrong however :)

Hey, I have the exact same sh*t problem for a week, since I bought my new system: mobo, cpu, ram & vga. All the details are the same here: 50% CPU and mem usage. I have it with all WMP 9, 10, 11beta, so it's not just Media Player 10. I've also reinstalled Windows a dozen times.
I've tried searchin with Google, but no luck, there is no solution, only everyone's complaining it.

Anyone has a tip for the problem solving?

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe (nForce 570SLi)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
1 GB DDR2 800MHz (dual channel)
GeForce 7900GTX
Windows XP SP2 (fresh install)

I'm having some seroius problems with installing WMP11 on my system. It has a clean install of MCE 2005 SP2, I have installed all windows XP updates and Media Center Rollup updates(update rollup 2, and a 2006 rollup)

Anyway... I install WMP11. It seems to install fine. It asks me to restart my system. I restart the computer. Windows boots fine... until it get to the desktop The computer freezes hard. No cursor movement, no HDD activity... nothing. In order to get the system back up and running, I have to reset the system, boot into safe mode, and system restore back to the point that was set before installing WMP11. Media center functions fine. I don't think it's actually the WMP11 player itself, I think it might be a service or maybe a registry error, because one time, I was able to run through the rest of the WMP11 setup all the way to where it imports the library, and the system freezes.

What I don't get is that it was working fine before i reinstalled windows, but i was having other problems with windows and media center. 2 months ago, everything on this system was working fine.

My Specs...

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice S754 CPU
ECS nForce3-A motherboard
1 GB of RAM
160GB HDD
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB Graphics AGP 8x
CD-RW
DVD-ROM
DYNEX Internal USB Card Reader
DYNEX 400w Power Supply
onboard Realtek AC97 Audio
Hauppauge WinTV PVR250 TV Tuner