TechSpot

WNats the best site for downloads?

By vegasgmc
Dec 11, 2005
  1. Im about to install SUSE on my spare PC. Is there a good site for utilities and programs? Thanks

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You can run virtually all Linux/Unix/Open source software on SuSE. So the best site would be www.google.com :)

Setting up APT on your SuSE box and configuring the repositories should cover 90% of your software needs: http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/

3. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,764

Thanks. Im trying to dig up the apps and utilities I want before I do the install.

4. balzi

balzi TS Rookie Posts: 29

We use SuSE 9.0 and SuSE 10 here at the office. I very rarely need to download applications seperately, unless it's a different version of something, like MySQL or apache2 or perl or something..

what exactly are you wanting to download, maybe i can help with specific things.
    www.suse.com will get you updates aswell.
    ( using Yast-online-update takes to long. )

5. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,764

CD and DVD burning, MP3 encoding, audio players, etc.

6. balzi

Isn't there heaps (like too many) dvd/cd burning utilities.

I don't do any cd burning in Linux so maybe there's no good graphical ones. User friendly , whilst not avoided, isn't really a major priority for most of the guys programming these apps.

on hte mp3, well now I know there's heaps of those.. if only I could remember what they're called.

I'll check my SuSE install disks..

Balzi

7. balzi

mp3 related items in SuSE 10:

amarok
    k3b
    kaffeine
    ripit
    grip

dvd/cd buring apps (some are in both lists):
    kaffeine
    k3b
    dvd+rw-tools

hope that helps you out.

to my knowledge, the tools are not the difficult part to organise with burning to optical media.. it's getting linux to properly access your burner hardware.
    and for mp3 playback, I know of a few people who had trouble getting there sound system working properly.

Balzi

8. doomsweek

doomsweek TS Rookie Posts: 44

http://sourceforge.net : The world's largest development and download repository of Open Source code and applications.

9. LesterofPups

LesterofPups TS Rookie Posts: 27

I've been using rpm.livna.org for my Fedora Core 4 box. Not sure what I'm gonna use for Debian.

10. balzi

I'm 99% sure that debian houses all packages (.deb) on their own special servers so that your built debian upgrade and installer tool, called apt-get, can retrieve and install whatever you wish..

it is very powerful, you can ask for different versions, it will normally pull in ALL dependencies with the main application you asked for. linux needs more of that.

Balzi

11. kens8

kens8 TS Rookie Posts: 57

http://packman.links2linux.org/ is a good one, especially for SUSE. I'd also like to ditto sourceforge.net. It has so much stuff that it can be kind of overwhelming, but it'll certainly have what you're looking for.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.