TechSpot

Woman says Facebook cookies violate wiretap laws, files suit

By Matthew
Oct 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Brooke Rutledge of Lafayette County, Mississippi has sued Facebook for allegedly violating federal wiretap laws by illegally tracking her Internet activity while logged out of the social networking site. The…

Read the whole story

2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 365   +40

Who cares. Plain and Simple. If you use facebook why are you worried about them tracking your browsing history? They already know where you live, what your interests are, and probably what you had for breakfast this morning, so why does it even matter if they know what sites you've been to. They could likely guess based on the info you've given them anyway.

3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

You're right Win7Dev, but there needs to be a limit to it. Otherwise before you know it there will be a keylogger on your computer sending everything you type on it back to some company somewhere. I make it a point to log off FB when I'm done with it, they should not gather information of me when I'm "done" with them. Guessing is not the same thing as knowing.

4. Obviously if someone is violating peoples privacy they should be held responsible, but I would think its impossible for them to track your activity if you don't go to their site to begin with : )

Kinda like, its impossible for apple to "track your iphone" if you never buy one in the first place

But uh-oh, wait a second...no smartphone, no facebook..sounds like loser to me...and if theres one thing the wise have taught me, its that being cool and having a lot of friends is all that matters in this life, right? : )

5. Yes, that's right.

6. Actually the like button is on the top and being tracked on the internet is significant ( if FB can do it why not anybobdy else? )

7. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

What's that? Pino does not have a Facebook account? How awesome is that kid!?

And my life is better because of it…

8. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,077   +84 Staff Member

Actually, there's one on the top and the bottom.

9. Silly Rabbits...

Google Chrome Extension:
    Facebook Disconnect - Version: 1.2.0
    Stop Facebook from tracking the webpages you go to.

10. jetkami

jetkami TS Rookie Posts: 99

Herr Hitler promised the German people a free Volkswagen for every family and a government paid vacation once a year (If you toted the party line)...,but look how it ended. We need to keep our money (meaning dont buy EVERY gadget supporting the high price) and information to ourselves and learn to become more independent like our founding fathers were.

11. I have the google chrome extension that replaces the like button with an image. Click it once to bring up the actual like button.

12. war59312

war59312 TS Member Posts: 70

13. You can add filters to AdBlock to block the cookies. Here's the list with the filters:

facebook.com^$domain=~facebook.com ~facebook.net|~fbcdn.com|~fbcdn.net
    facebook.net^$domain=~facebook.com|~facebook.net|~fbcdn.com|~fbcdn.net
    fbcdn.com^$domain=~facebook.com|~facebook.net|~fbcdn.com|~fbcdn.net
    fbcdn.net^$domain=~facebook.com|~facebook.net|~fbcdn.com|~fbcdn.net

14. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

Unless you use a proxy and fill them up with wildly false information and use NoScript + BetterPrivacy add-ons for Firefox. It's the facebook.net domain that is required for the "like" buttons and whatnot on external sites. That domain isn't actually required to use facebook.com though. So I think keeping facebook.net blocked on NoScript may help the issue to a degree.

15. bakape

bakape TS Enthusiast Posts: 123

Indeed, NoScript for the win! Or NotScripts in my case (Chrome).

16. Guardian31756

Guardian31756 TS Rookie Posts: 18

I've been noticing that where ever I go on the internet, You almost have to have a Facebook account or you won't get anywhere !

It's almost like being forced to have an Facebook account or your left behind !

17. modern browsers are embedded with database,
    and always crashing ... don't really care if data
    is transmitted to the moon !

18. Tomorrow_Rains

Tomorrow_Rains TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

Implying Google Chrome isn't a bot-net.

19. Wish I was paranoid enough to wear a tinfoil hat like others.

20. The main reason I opened this article was coz the first words were "Woman says"

Couldn't you have used "researcher" instead?

21. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 930

Just exactly who's safety are they protecting by retaining the ability to track your browser activity? Isn't it more like "We want to retain this ability because we're making good money by selling this information". I would like to see Ms. Brooke Rutledge win this case in order to establish a legal precedent that would apply to all corporate entities engaged in this type of activity.

22. If you don't agree with their policies and it bothers you that much.....stop using it! Facebook is not a necessity, it's a social networking/marketing site. It is taken way too seriously these days.

23. it doesnt matter, using facebook and google you will always be tracked and all those so called cookies can always be filtered down to pinpoint a single individual. people nowadays are just paroniod about 'privacy' ; but there is no such thing.

24. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

Well, I'd rather live in a society that is unnecessarily paranoid about privacy when they don't need to be, than one that isn't and should be. Kind of like the phrase, "I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it".

25. OUTLAWXXX

OUTLAWXXX TS Rookie Posts: 51

I don't really communicate with people on facebook these days anyways so I deleted my facebook account about 2 weeks ago because I don't like them tracking me and making money off selling info about me. Made one last post that they could reach me at a certain e-mail address and if they actually care they will. The site is just a professional stalker site anyways imo.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.