Wondering how to fix my motherboard fan (and if I fried my motherboard)

Hey guys, I just joined this forum because I need a little help with my motherboard. I am not that technology savvy so I'm sorry for any errors. A few days ago, my monitor stopped working. At first I thought it was my video card so I kept fiddling around with it to see if I could fix it. It worked a little so I thought I fixed it.

Then every once in a while it would freeze. I opened it up and switched out the video card but still it had the same problem of freezing. That's when I noticed one of the fans on my motherboard wasn't turning on. It would rotate once or twice and not start but now it doesn't even rotate. I'm wondering if I can fix the fan (its plugged in correctly) and if I have to buy a new motherboard. I can't tell what motherboard I have so sorry.

So in short, my motherboard fan is not working. Any way to fix or do I need a new motherboard?

I would start by checking your power supply with a good tester tool and multimeter.

If you can unplug the fan, take it to a shop, buy a replacement, fairly cheap now, and try that. If it runs well then you know the motherboard is ok. If it doesn't run any better than the current one, then the problem could be much more serious, possibly the PSU, or motherboard. But the fan 'test' is cheap, and what I would do first.

Back