Wondering how to sync my documents from my desktop to laptop automatically

By yRaz
Feb 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Title pretty much says it all. I am a student and do a lot of work on my desktop. However, I take my laptop to school with me and would like it to transfer(sync) everything for me. I was thinking about writing a .bat file to do this for me, but it's been a long time since I've done any serious programming. Both computers are running windows 7 and connected via wireless network. I have a home group setup and I have not deeply looked through the sharing settings.
  2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,284   +154

Checkout DropBox as a possible solution

Pluses:
    > It's freeware. First 2GB storage is free (and if i recall reasonably priced after that)
    > It'll both sync files between computers AND keep a copy on an available server should you need them from elsewhere

Make sure you use a PRIVATE Dropbox folder
    Minuses:
    > Files are kept on DropBox servers. PRIVATE folders should only be accessible by yourself with secure login but personally, i still don't put my "confidential" files on any public server just being "cyber" cautious

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.