TechSpot

Wondering if I should upgrade video card for video editing software

By boagz
Jan 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. recently I have wanted to get into video editing and I decided to try out a few different video editing software tools. I tried windows movie maker 2.6 first and it kept skipping when I would preview clips and freezing. The same thing is happening with the trial version of adobe's premiere elements 9 trial version. For adobe, it told me to download the latest video driver that was compatible so i did and it allowed me to see my videos and use it a little bit but it would not be able to keep up and would freeze occasionally. Does this have to do with my graphics card? This is what I could find of my computers information (i typed dxdiag in run):

System:

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (6.1, Build 7600)
    System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
    System model: Satellite A505
    BIOS: InsydeH20 Version 1.20
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX11

And I guess this is my graphics card:

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 310M
    Chip Type: Geforce 310M
    DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Approx. Total Memory: 2256 MB
    Current Display mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

P.s. I'm not very computer savvy so keep that in mind :-/
  2. mejoppa

mejoppa TS Rookie

yes the graphics card seems to be the weak link in your setup, you could try searching for msi afterburner to try to overclock your graphics card but failing that i would upgrade your graphics card
  3. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 930

Are you sure that a video card upgrade is an option for the Satellite A505? I don't deal all that much with laptops but think your options may be limited. There is nothing shown for a video upgrade on the Toshiba site, perhaps someone else knows of a 3rd party alternative.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.