Wondering if I should upgrade video card for video editing software

boagz

recently I have wanted to get into video editing and I decided to try out a few different video editing software tools. I tried windows movie maker 2.6 first and it kept skipping when I would preview clips and freezing. The same thing is happening with the trial version of adobe's premiere elements 9 trial version. For adobe, it told me to download the latest video driver that was compatible so i did and it allowed me to see my videos and use it a little bit but it would not be able to keep up and would freeze occasionally. Does this have to do with my graphics card? This is what I could find of my computers information (i typed dxdiag in run):

System:

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (6.1, Build 7600)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System model: Satellite A505
BIOS: InsydeH20 Version 1.20
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX11

And I guess this is my graphics card:

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 310M
Chip Type: Geforce 310M
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 2256 MB
Current Display mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

P.s. I'm not very computer savvy so keep that in mind :-/

yes the graphics card seems to be the weak link in your setup, you could try searching for msi afterburner to try to overclock your graphics card but failing that i would upgrade your graphics card

Are you sure that a video card upgrade is an option for the Satellite A505? I don't deal all that much with laptops but think your options may be limited. There is nothing shown for a video upgrade on the Toshiba site, perhaps someone else knows of a 3rd party alternative.

Back