Wondering if this will work in my Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

farrentodd

i have a dell optiplex GX-280 tower style not the one that lays on its side and i want to put a new prosseser in it was looking into this style Pentium 4 Dual Cores there is a pentium 4 at 3.0GHZ right know but just tring to get a little more out of this old pc got a 512mb video card and 4gb ram and a 500gb harddrive with a bigfoot enternet card 1gb well if u can help i appriceat it thanks a lot

First you need to find out what socket the Cpu is, I think it's LGA775?.. I was just reading someone wanted to upgrade there Gx-280 CPU and read that they were stuck with it becuase there was no dual core processor available for it, but I just looked on newegg and they have a few dual core socket 775.. So im not sure, you just have to do a little homework. Hope this helps

There are a ton of dual core LGA 775 processors. Some quad core ones too.

But, not all will run on the motherboard. Unfortunately I don't know what the max processor is for that board. I'm just cautioning you, so you don't go buy a quad core LGA 775 and stuff it in there expecting it to work.

I quickly googled it and gave up because I find it frustrating to deal with OEMs. The reason is because, as in this case, they brand a computer one name like Optiplex 280, but then they have multiple hardware configurations. That is really irritating when trying to find hardware information.

I don't know if I'll post back in this thread. But if you posted with what processor you have in there now (something like CPUID will be very helpful here) and any information about that motherboard, that would be very beneficial to anyone trying to provide you more advice.

I agree, we need all the information from something like CPUID, but specifically, your current CPU and the motherboard's model number before we can give a reasonably educated response. It will be by no means guaranteed to work though in either case.

the cpu is intel(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHZ
code name Model 4 stepping 1
current clockspeed is 2992 MHZ
volt 1.7V
external clock 800 MHZ
serial number BFEBFBFF00000F41
CUP IDX86 family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
socket designation Microprocessor
motherboard
model OC7195
manufacturer Dell INC
BIOS name phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A04
SMBIOS A04

this is all the info I can give hope it helps and thankyou all for your help

The simple but harsh answer is NO! You either have an OLD socket 478 P4 or an Old socket 775, I can't be sure. A new $300.00 computer from Walmart would make it look like a calculator, but I wouldn't actually buy that computer from Walmart. :( You'll be able to find replacement CPUs on ebay or similar, but I wouldn't invest anymore cash in your old computer. I could not find specifics on your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back