Won't boot after ending svchost.exe process in Task Manager

By Indetrucks
Aug 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Been a long time since I posted here fellas but it looks like I need your professional help once again... :)

Did a quick search and didn't find anything
    (Flame suit on)

I made the boneheaded mistake of ending a process in the Windows Task Manager called svchost.exe. Immediately following, I noticed that my sound went dead. Naturally I tried to restart the computer and yep, you guessed it...now it won't boot.

It gets just about to the Windows boot screen and then a blue screen flickers on and it restarts over again. There is some writing at the top of the blue screen but it literally flickers for a split second making it ineligible.

From the brief searching I did on the net, it looks like this is what can happen when you eliminate the svchost process. I am not familiar with any sort of recovery process and the only disk I have is the Windows XP O/S install disk.
    I have tried starting it in Safe Mode and (last known good configuration) with no avail.
    The last thing I want to do is a new/clean install of XP, is there anyway to avoid this? :(

I promise to stay out of the Task Manager if I get this fixed :eek:
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,113   +23

3. Indetrucks

Indetrucks Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 23

Thanks for that link. Just printed the instructions and will try it when I get home tonight.
  4. Indetrucks

Just finished running a chkdsk /r and it ran for about 10 minutes. After restart, still nothing.
    Also ran a windows repair install with the O/S disc that I used to install XP, still nothing.

The windows loading screen stays up a bit longer, but that's about it.
    Still get a blue screen flash with some writing on it, but it flashes too quickly to determine what it says.
  5. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,113   +23

Two things:

a. Did you recently encounter any infections?

b. What is the make of your harddrive?
  6. Indetrucks

No infections and PC was running tops until I did this.
    C: HD is a Western Digital 74GB 10K raptor from 2007
    D: Storage Drive is a Seagate 500GB or something (personal stuff and all)
  7. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,683   +152

You may need to do a fresh install of your Os on C. Sounds like you may have shut a main service or program off. In the process you might have corrupted a few system files.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.