Won't boot all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway 5200s and have problems booting now. When I turn the power on, it looks and sounds like it is going to boot up but nothing happens. The hard drive spins and the lights come on but it won't boot. I have to shut the power off and on and try again and again and finally after a few tries it boots up. Sometimes it takes 6 or 7 tries to get it to work. I thought I had a hard drive going bad so I got a new one and put it in and it is doing the same thing. When I put the new one in, I coppied everything over from the old drive using the Maxtor software. I checked for a virus on the old and new drive but there isn't anything. I also noticed that sometimes when I finally get it to boot up and get to the screen that has the Gateway logo on the top and the Intel logo on the bottom left before it fully boots up that sometimes on the Intel logo there are the letters "HT" and other times the letters are not there. I know they stand for Hyper Threading but I can't figure out why they are not there all the time. I don't know what do to next.

Your first issue is that you have a gateway. Unfortunately I can not help you there;)

Open your case and make sure everything is seated correctly then make sure the insides are clean and free of dirt.

Make sure your CPU and PSU fans are spinning. If neither one of these are not spinning, stop trying to boot it up, you will need to replace these if the fans are not spinning.

Try to plug your system into another outlet, possible brownout but can't tell from here,:unch:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back