Won't boot on first attempt.. advice? (power but no boot)

By Smith3000
Jul 21, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all, i have come across this site while trying to google some answers, i hope someone might have an idea (or similar expriences). Basically the issue i am experiencing is that my computer will not boot (or POST i believe) when i press the on button (power though) in most cases. To solve this all i need to do is hit reset and it boots.

This is a little different to the 'wont boot at all' issues, which i did experience myself the other week after installing another hdd. (i found asus very useful regarding this at http://support.asus.com/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.aspx?no=762&SLanguage=en-us and particularly http://support.asus.com/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.aspx?no=758&SLanguage=en-us - all i needed to do was "reset the power supply", pretty painless...)

Now i always figured this was a problem for me because my computer is old, and especially as this has become more and more frequent. However, a friend of mine with a new system has the same issues so i just want to know what is up with this?

To the details:
    Mine is Athlon XP, ASUS A7V8X-X mobo, i just put in a new PSU and no difference.
    Her's is Athlon 64, ASUS A8N-VN CSM, Antec SLK2650 PSU/Case
    Im not sure what else matters..

So the point of all this, is that this situation seems a bit odd, given that nothing seems wrong on the whole (it works fine otherwise) but now everytime i want to start, i have to press on and then reset... any ideas about this?

Does this make sense? Thanks for anything..

S
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

What is the wattage of your psu, it should be printed on the label on the side of it.
  3. Smith3000

Smith3000 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

The current PSU is a 450watt, and the old one was 350. There hasnt been any difference between the two which makes me think it is the motherboard, i am just not sure how common this problem is.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.