Won't boot unless unplugged for 30 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I've got a weird problem, and I'm not sure quite what could be causing it, or how to fix it.

My computer runs perfectly while it's powered on, I have no problems there. It's when my computer gets turned off. Whether it be from myself turning it off, or the power going out, anything that stops the computer from running, I have a problem turning it back on.

I hit the power button, and NOTHING happens. I have tried hitting it (the power button) multiple times, but to no avail. I have opened my computer countless times to check if anything has wiggled loose or whathave you, but nothing seems out of place or loose or anything.

The ONLY way I can get my computer to turn on, is flip the master power switch in the back, unplug it from the wall, and leave it for 30+ minutes. When I come back, I plug the power cord back in, flip the master power switch ON, and hit the power button, and everything boots up fine, as if nothing ever happened!!

I could really use your guys help, this has been bugging me for quite a while now.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

The ONLY way I can get my computer to turn on, is flip the master power switch in the back, unplug it from the wall, and leave it for 30+ minutes

Try power cord out
Push the ON button in for 30secs
Put the power cord back in
Turn on

Also this sounds like a faulty Power Supply
But you might want to blow out all internal dust (including inside the power supply by high preasue air)

Reseat the Ram, and even try Memtest for 7 Passes
It is also possible, that something (usually USB device) connected to your computer is causing this HardWare issue.

Hello,

I am having something similar but some differences as well. I have an mtech laptop. Started as problem where would not come out of sleep mode but if disconnected all power for a moment the plug back in would boot normal.

Now had degraded to where I power on and all seems to be working. but no post. Fans come on, cd/dvd rom spins. lights come on, no display and no post beeps at all.

Have tried removing battery and power for 24 hours and plug back in still same. Will try thourogh cleaning this evening. Can you suggest some other possibilities?

Also, is swapping parts, (ie processor and mobo) the only way to troubleshoot those possibilities?

Thanks

kimsland said:
Try power cord out
Push the ON button in for 30secs
Put the power cord back in
Turn on

Also this sounds like a faulty Power Supply
But you might want to blow out all internal dust (including inside the power supply by high preasue air)

Reseat the Ram, and even try Memtest for 7 Passes
It is also possible, that something (usually USB device) connected to your computer is causing this HardWare issue.

I forgot to mention, but just prior to my posting it wouldn't turn on, so I opened it and blew out all the dust I could see.

The only thing that I have plugged into USB is my wireless keyboard and mouse combo, but this problem has been happening prior to me getting the keyboard and mouse.

I will go out and buy some CD's (Just ran out a few days ago and haven't picked up anymore yet, lol), and then I'll try reseating and then Memtesting my ram.

Power Supply End of life

It seems like your power supply is dying; do you have a power supply laying around? I had the same problem and a new power supply took care of it.

Hmm, no I don't have another PSU around unfortunately.

My computer hasn't even turned 6 months old yet, should this kind of thing be happening?

computer hasn't even turned 6 months old yet, should this kind of thing be happening?
That's what warranties are for. Faulty hardware.

If the computer came complete (ie you didn't put it together)
Then return it for testing (and fixing) under warranty
Otherwise just return the power supply under warranty.

Logue said:
Hmm, no I don't have another PSU around unfortunately.

My computer hasn't even turned 6 months old yet, should this kind of thing be happening?

If this were/is an Emachines with a "Bestec" PSU, 6 months could be about it. OEM power supplies are not always the best. Sometimes the best approach is to simply replace them as a matter of course, not to wait for a failure. Your computer will love you for it.

OEM PSUs are given (generally) just enough output to handle the equipment the computer ships with. Were you to decide to upgrade the video card, it probably would have to be replaced anyway.

kimsland; I agree with you in principle about "that's what warranties are for". But, I practice you might have to part with the machine, and have it returned to you with another of the same lousy PSU it originally shipped with. Sad, but most likely true, bite the bullet and spring for something better. After all, you could be back up and running in a half an hour. (Assuming of course you DIY).

PSU checked out

Processor Checks out

Memory checks out

D900T clevo laptop. Have no way to test Video card but was able to get it to post a cpl times today then back to nothing. Short in the mobo? If so, Is it tough to disassemple these things?

I'm normally a desktop guru I'm not familiar with laptops.

xtroublex said:
PSU checked out

Processor Checks out

Memory checks out

D900T clevo laptop. Have no way to test Video card but was able to get it to post a cpl times today then back to nothing. Short in the mobo? If so, Is it tough to disassemple these things?

I'm normally a desktop guru I'm not familiar with laptops.

Everyone would be glad to help you. But, please start a new thread in "Mobile Computing. It's a trifle confusing trying to diagnose two different problems in the same thread, especially when they can't be the same thing.

Yeah, sorry I should have mentioned, I built the computer myself, and the PSU is this:

I haven't gotten around to testing my ram yet, I might just replace the PSU and see if that fixes it, rather than testing the ram.
Actually, now that I think about it, it probably wouldn't hurt to test it, so I might just do that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back