won't boot up after changing clock speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie5678

I was in bios and changed the CPU clock speed from default to 133 Mhz- saved and exited bios. But now it won't boot up at all. I just get a black screen. Can't even get into bios to change it back to default speed. What happened and what should I do to fix it?

You have no power at all?

What actually happens when you power on the machine?
Do you hear any noises(fans and drives)?
Do the lights on the drives flicker as they normally should?

As for clearing CMOS, it can vary according to manufacturer so look in the manual. Most have a jumper that you use to clear it, some use the INSERT key.

Try holding down the INSERT while powering on.

Or look for a jumper on the mainboard that say CLR_CMOS or something of the sort. Power off the machine. Put the jumper to 1. Wait for a few seconds then put it back the way it was & power on your machine.

What board are you using ? We can't guess by ourselves.

Holding down the insert key didn't work.
I think I've found the Clear CMOS jumper but I'm not sure how to set it to 1?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 24
note that there are three pins, the first two are covered by the jumper, move it so that the second and third are covered by the jumper, then move it back after several seconds.

Ok- I pulled the jumper, waited a few seconds, put it back in and it worked. I was able to get into bios and set it back to default. I didn't have to put the jumper in the #2 and #3 pins at all.

That's strange, but as long as it got straightened out, everything is better. Hopefully there won't be that much more OC'ing in your near future ;)

The computer is running at 533Mhz but it's supposed to be at 1Ghz. I'm not sure what happened. Maybe a power outage reset everything to default. But whatever the reason, it's suppose to run at 1Ghz. I'm gonna have to try again some other time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back