TechSpot

Won't boot up

By steelth
May 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Not sure if I did this right so here goes.I bought a comp. that was missing a battery and hard drive. I put a battery from another comp. and hard drive from another old comp. in it but it turns on but the monitor doesn't. do I need to wipe out my old hard drive? The computer came on I put windows disk in it ,but I couldn't see anything because the monitor never went out of sleep mode.It was like the comp. was never connected to it. thx

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

What is the make and model of this computer? Yes you need to load Windows fresh

3. steelth

steelth TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 125

It is an Hp compaq ,Amd Athlon x2, with windows vista .....So I do need to wipe the hard drive first then..? Before I install the Hard drive it I turned it on and it said there was no battery or hard drive but nothing atm ,,,, if I need to wipe the hard drive thats not a problem I just wanted to know for my own knowledge..thx for the help

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Yes you need to format and start the Windows install fresh, if you can see anything on the monitor