Won't load pages

I have a laptop that I switched from hard wire to wireless. When hardwired it worked fine. Now it doesn't load pages, message page could not load as if it is offline. The wireless connection is very strong. I have tried it on foxfire and internet explorer it's the same on both. I did have blur on there which I removed. After removing it foxfire did load but it took a long time. Then facebook came right up but when I tried to log in to facebook it took 3 tries, I finally did get in.

Hi, If the same pc and router setup worked ok when using cable, but not with wireless, I would be looking at the router's channel.
It's possible that another router nearby, maybe next door to you, is using the same, or near channel as your router, and this would cause problems as you describe.
So you would need to go into your router's own software settings, and move the transmit/receive channel away from where it is now, so that any interference is reduced. You do these mods by using a web browser, best done with the cable connected again, and using the I.p. for your router, which will be something like 192.168.1.1
There are many videos and tutorials about how to do this if you are unsure.

Hi, If the same pc and router setup worked ok when using cable, but not with wireless, I would be looking at the router's channel.
It's possible that another router nearby, maybe next door to you, is using the same, or near channel as your router, and this would cause problems as you describe.
So you would need to go into your router's own software settings, and move the transmit/receive channel away from where it is now, so that any interference is reduced. You do these mods by using a web browser, best done with the cable connected again, and using the I.p. for your router, which will be something like 192.168.1.1
There are many videos and tutorials about how to do this if you are unsure.
Thank you Mike. I called up my internet provider and read them your reply. We tried many things and found out the modem isn't working properly. tomorrow I am picking up a new modem.

Yes that's another reason why you were have problems ! A faulty modem/router is not so common though, they are fairly reliable now.
You will find all the default settings will be correct, apart from the channel (transmit/receive) frequency, because your particular situation is unique.
You might find that your pc can 'see' a few other wireless routers, but your own will be the strongest signal. It's still a good idea to move your own 'channel' away from similar ones nearby. A very useful program to 'see' signals around you is this;
http://nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_view.html
The important part is 'Channel', this info is vital where you have many other wireless signals close by. This program cannot make any changes, so you still have to go into the modem's firmware to make the changes, using any web browser and the I.p. which will be printed underneath the router along with the admin and password info.
This is the only problem I have ever had with wireless/pc combinations, as around me there are up to 12 other routers that my pc can 'see'.
In fact my neighbour's router signal is stronger than my own! Hope it all works out with the new 'kit'.

TWC did change my channel last night, we still had the problem. Then he transfered me to advanced tech, as he called him and he was working only with the modem. He said he couldn't find a signal for wireless on my modem. Thank you for the site, I will get it today. Thank you for all your help Mike, I sure wouldn't have fixed this without you. When I called TWC they told me it's my computer, but... when I read them your reply they took me seriously and took care of it.

Back