Won't wake up, shut down or boot (if puled plug) after sleep/hibernation

Jack123

I want to start by saying thanks for all of you for even reading this post and know that I read through a lot o forms before asking this question so thanks again for any help or advice.

OP system Windows 7
gpu radeon 3200
Cpu AMD Phenom II X4 805 / 2.5 GHz
Ram DDR2 SDRAM - Non-ECC
PSU output 300 watt
Now to my problem, I have a Gateway DX4300-11 that after it falls asleep pf hibernates the power button will turn from steady to blinking and the monitor would state that its going to sleep. it will remain in this state until I pull the plug. regardless of what I have done until now like hitting keys on keyboard, moving mouse, or pushing/holding power button, will not wake the pc or shut it down.

now when I pull the plug it takes a few seconds and then it goes dead. Immediately after I plug it back in (before even attempting to hit the power button) hear the fans start spinning and the monitor states hes going back to sleep and this time the power button remains off even if after I push/hold it.

To get back on all I had to do is reset CMOS but although it boots back up normally and the desktop has on it things I had open earlier (which leads me to believe that it went into a hibernation and saved all of it) after it going to sleep it plays the same game with me.

I was woundering if anyone can help me out with this, I dont know maybe its a mobo issue, maybe cpu or gpu perhabs even ram, any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Will it still start up and run windows after you pull the plug. If so set it not to go to sleep. It could be a number of things causing this. It could be a hard drive going bad,A bad power supply ,Corrupt bios. If you are not familar with computers.Your best bet is get a friend or your local computer repair person to take a look at it.

It will only if a cleat CMOS first. im pretty familier with computers (at lease more then all my friends, they are the ones eho come to me lol) I flashed the bios already the harddrives seem tobe working perfectly fine. I did run sppedfan and all looks good as far as the PSU is considered, I even updated windows to the next sp still the same thing, I dont know however what to do next.

Yes, desktop computers should never be set to hibernate or sleep. They are either on, with the monitor set to display a screen saver and then turn off after a while, or shut off... Does the computers time and date stay current after the computer is unplugged for a while?

I flashed the bios after the problem began. im going to check about the time, it was a little off when I started it today but I just want to be sure so ill write again after I let it sit. thank you so much for helping me out on this

Yup the computer resets the date/time to 1/1/2010 time various (checked it twice) does that mean I goto get a new battery or are we talking new PSU?

You can try swapping your PSU out. Not to sure this will help. But give it a try. Your best bet is not to put the computer in sleep mode. Just set the monitor to power down when you are not on it. Till you can figure out what is going on with it. Plus did you reset the bios after installing the new battery?

Any suggestion on what psu to get?
after replacing battery it asked me to reset the settings to default by preesing f1 (the same as I did after clearing CMOS) so I thing that rest it.

Try getting a Corsair Power supply. The size depends on what you are using it for. If you do not have a video card installed Are using on board graphics. You can go with a 400 and be fine. If you have a video card installed you can get 500 to 600watts.

Back