Word 2000 will not open, displays error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

vnf4ultra

I have a strange problem with an older computer running windows 98 and the 2000 works suite (with word). Every time word is opened it instead opens a illegal operation dialog box and if you click details it says "invalid page fault in module MSO9.dll."

I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. I've tried starting office in safe mode (with /safe and by holding ctrl). I've tried renaming/moving normal.dot. I tried renaming the hkcu\software\microsoft\office\9.0, which made office act like it was reinstalling when I opened word, but then, same error. I tried "repairing" word from it's installer. I've even uninstalled word via it's uninstaller and then ran microsoft's word 2000 removal tool, rebooted and then reinstalled word off the disk. Even with a complete reinstall it just craps out and does the same "illegal operation, page fault..." message every time it's opened. It's very frustrating.

I'm wondering if there are remnants of word still left in the registry or spattered about the computer even after using the word removal tool that might be causing the problem. I also am thinking it could possibly be some conflict with the rest of the works package or even with IE 5. I really don't know what else to try (other than reformatting the computer and starting over, which I really don't want to do). If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

FWIW: This guy has the same problem. I have searched the net quite a bit on this, but haven't found any solution yet.

Edit: I did see this from the MS KB. I already tried reinstalling like it says, but I didn't do the rename mso9.dll and winword.exe. I guess I'll try that, but I sincerely doubt that renaming before the repair will have any effect if a full reinstall doesn't work.

Edit: I did see this from the MS KB. I already tried reinstalling like it says, but I didn't do the rename mso9.dll and winword.exe. I guess I'll try that, but I sincerely doubt that renaming before the repair will have any effect if a full reinstall doesn't work.

OK... Now think about it

It's a step-by-step solution from Microsoft for a Microsoft product. Do you think their own solution would explicitly tell you how to find and rename these two files BEFORE the repair if it didn't make any difference???

I might try to guess as to why they tell you to first rename these files but why bother? I'm certain if they indicate it as needed its needed (for fixing a bug, that is, as i wouldn't stock this faith if it was a product claim :) )

It's a step-by-step solution from Microsoft for a Microsoft product. Do you think their own solution would explicitly tell you how to find and rename these two files BEFORE the repair if it didn't make any difference???

You never know with Microsoft...they like to do things the hard way. ;)

I'll try the KB article step by step and see if it helps.

Solution

So I did what MS recommended, which (as usual) did not fix the problem.

However, I did fix the problem myself, so I thought I'd post just in case someone else reads this and is looking for a solution.

What I did:

-I used the add remove programs in control panel to remove word, works 2000, and word in works addin.
-Deleted files in C:\Windows\Temp
-Deleted folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\
-Deleted folder C:\Program Files\Works Suite 2000\
-Deleted folder C:\Windows\ApplicationData\Office\
-Deleted folder C:\Windows\ApplicationData\Word\
-Renamed registry key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office to "OldOffice"
(I assume deletion is also ok, renaming was just easier incase something went wrong)
-Renamed registry key HKU\Software\Microsoft\Office to "OldOffice"
-Ran installer from works 2000 disc and chose to install "word." This installs the three programs that were originally removed above. Three reboots later, you will be able to try microsoft word, and hopefully it will work this time.

I'm certainly no expert in software, so I probably did steps that were not necessary. At least what I did worked, unlike the advice from the company that made both the program and the OS. :rolleyes:

good job and very resourceful of you. I've seen cases where such draconian steps where necessary with Office.
The rename of the Key was a step that most would overlook -- and thus fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back