Word cannot open the document : user does not have access privilages

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had this error occur on my notebook.
It is an Hp notebook model Compaq nx6310
Microsoft windows XP professional, version 2002, service pack 2
Intel Celeron, 1.73 Ghz, 0.99GB RAM.

I had installed MagicDisc v2.5 build (074) , which i shouldn't have done, after installing i realized my notebook couldn't handle it.

The main problem was that the taskbar had moved entirely below the bottom of the screen, so i couldn't stop it from the system tray. I ran the task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and ended the process. then i removed it using the add/remove programs from the control panel. I rebooted and now it was taking 5 minutes to load the start up page after booting. I thought it had affected my system files so i went in for system recovery.

During the system recovery i had included some files that i wanted the system to recover. After the recovery the system was running fine, i installed Microsoft Office 2007. I tried to open some of my previous word documents. (previously i was using Microsoft Office 2003) so then it gave this error

"Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges (C:\...\My Documents\filename)"

I tried opening some other folders in My documents and then I got the error
Access is denied (location of folder) is not accessible.

i fixed that problem by turning off the simple sharing option which is in the My computer folder options, in the view tab, in the advanced settings, i changed the ownership of the files. I did the same with the word files but to no success.

I have a lot of information on those files and i need them urgently.

Thanks in advance.

ms office has a new file format it is backwards compatible.
when installing new software do things one at a time to avoid issues.
uninstall all this new stuff, repair your registry with crap cleaner.
If your files were locked or you did not have permission, they will carry over.
It is wise to use a program like GOBACK before making changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back