Word duplicating text when using scroll mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

Can anyone explain what might be going on here? When the wheel on scroll mouse is used to scroll up and down a Word 2003 document occasionally it copies lines of text. These copied lines are not permanent, is you stop scrolling the duplicates disappear and is you save a document the duplicates are not saved. If the scroll bars are used instead of the scroll wheel there is no problem at all.
So far a new mouse has been tried and Word has been reloaded, neither has resolved the problem. No software has been loaded for the 2 mice used, just windows drivers. This problem seems to be intermittent as it doesn't happen on every document, sometimes the same document exhibits the problem, sometimes not, its weird.
Anyone any ideas?

May be an issue, that either your Video card memory or Ram is not catching up quick enough.

Confirm all drivers are updated, and run Memtest

Is it possible that you are depressing the left mouse button at times when you use the wheel to scroll?

I have updated the video drivers to the latest ATI offering, graphics card is a Radeon 9550, and I have checked out the memory which passed my checks. Unfortunately the problem still persists, any other suggestions?

Not sure if this helps or hinders, but loaded Word 2003 onto a laptop and copied over some of the documents, plugged in my original mouse and word happily scrolls without a problem.
The original pc has an Athlon 2400 processor and 512MB memory so should be perfectly capable of coping with Word.

just ONE word or the whole line?

sometimes we see 'bit droppings' where a scroll doesn't cleanup correctly.
open any other window, go full screen with it to cover the existing document and then
minimize it to uncover the document. If the duplication is gone, then you're suffering from 'bit droppings'

I'm still almost positive this is a driver issue. I had a corruption problem that only occured in Opera and Sketchup that was entirely reproducable.

I'm certain Word doesn't have a known issue of scrolling and duplicating stuff. But there could be a problem with the program and the vid drivers like what I saw. I've seen stuff like this before on my machines. I bet minimizing and restoring, or maybe even dragging another window on top of it and then removing it puts the stuff back like it should be.

I would 100% remove every trace of a video driver you have, and then reboot, and do an install of the vid drivers, even try a different version.

I still think this is a driver problem (obviously).

Word 2003 Scrolling Problem - No Solution

Hello TechSpotters,

This problem with Word is very annoying (an pervasive) and I have yet to find a solution. Here are a few links to the discussion of the problem in this thread:

"getsatisfaction.com/microsoft/topics/scrolling_up_does_not_work_right_lines_repeat"

"technologyquestions.com/technology/microsoft-office/234115-word-scroll-wheel-repeats-jumbles-text-screen.html"

"support.microsoft.com/kb/834949/en-us"

Sorry, can't paste links on this forum yet. Please cut and paste. And no, the MS fix does not work. Hopefully, someone from MS will address this issue soon. --Check

Mouse or mouse driver issue

It's obviously copying the text (through highlighting it) and then pasting it underneath (by letting go of the button)

Try another mouse

My first thoughts were a video driver or mouse driver problem but after reading through posts on the other fourms (take a minute and do this yourself) it is appearent that this problem occurs on too many platforms for it to be related to specific hardware or a driver. My money is still on something in Office SP3. --Check

the link support.microsoft.com/kb/834949/en-us seems to address the problem.

and a hotfix was available 833985 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833985/) Description of the Word 2003 hotfix package: January 20, 2004

but note the date!

Are you suggesting that applying Office SP3 causes the issue to reappear?

the link "support.microsoft.com/kb/834949/en-us" seems to address the problem.

Yes, see the last link in my post...but it does not fix the problem (SP1/2 era).

and a hotfix was available 833985 "support.microsoft.com/kb/833985" Description of the Word 2003 hotfix package: January 20, 2004

but note the date!

Don't think this hotfix is related to the issue????

Are you suggesting that applying Office SP3 causes the issue to reappear?

It appears that the problem re-surfaced sometime around the release of SP3 or other updates. See the links from the other forums I posted for a better description. --Check

Possible Solution...maybe

Hi,

I am informed that this issue is related to a couple of security patches:-

KB955048 released on 8/12/08 and

KB947077 released on 2/12/08

Both are remote code execution patches for Word 2003, so you have to balance usability versus security.

Regards

Hugh

Duplicate Lines Appear in MS Word when Scrolling Mouse Wheeel

Hi Folks. Sorry I am abit late to the forum, I only just encountered the problem yesterday when typing up a report.

Many PC/software problems can be resolved by editing the PC registry. This looks like one of those problems. Sometimes downloading a patch is not enough-you sometimes have to edit the PC registry to point to the patch.

Solution when using Win XP & Office 11/2003.
In my case I have Service Pack 2/3 of Office, so I assumed the patch is already residing on th PC-therefore no need to download an unknown patch or worry about administrator rights.

Solution that works below:
1. Start>Run>regedit.
2. File>Export>backup.reg (Export to registry to an external drive).
3. Expand the following folders in the exact order:
a. HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
b. Software.
c. Microsoft.
d. Office.
e. 11.0.
f. Word.
g. Options.
4. After 3.g. Edit>New>Click DWORD Value.
5. Type AlternateTableHeightLayout & ENTER.
6. RHS Mouse Click AlternateTableHeightLayout, then Modify.
7. In the value data box, type 1, then click OK.

Now reboot the computer, and test MS Word by scrolling vigorously up and down several times-there should be no line replication.

Yes, the thread is a year old.

We are very conservative in recommending a Registry Edit. Especially when we don't know the level of experience for the poster.

Solution when using Win XP & Office 11/2003.
You might be interested to know also, that Vista is being used, not Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back