Word Lens: translate in real time with just your phone's camera

By Emil
Dec 17, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. This is the story of how augmented reality met optical character recognition and how the two fell in love. They then had a baby and called it Word Lens, which grew up to be an instant translation app.

Read the whole story
  2. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 948   +45

That looks totally awesome. It will make international trips either much easier, or will embarrass yourself. =o
  3. I downloaded the app. It's not all that. The sign has to be big and clear and minimalistic.

Also it costs $4.99 for English to Spanish and another $4.99 for Spanish to English.

Not worth it imho.
  4. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

This is a first release and it is safe to assume the app and translation will get better and that more languages will be available in the future. 4.99 for a translation software is very cheap I don't think that even a dictionary is cheaper than that.

And by the way the headline should read "with your iPhone's camera" ;)
  5. AlienOverlord

AlienOverlord Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

I knew this day would come. I've been teaching English abroad for years but I've always known that the window of opportunity would close. I'm guessing I have two good years left and then applications like these will lessen the need for native speakers and the money will no longer be worth it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.