WordPress.com hit by "extremely large" DDoS attack

By Emil
Mar 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. WordPress.com, used by over 13 percent of the 1,000,000 biggest websites, was hit today by an "extremely large" distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack. As a result, some users experienced performance and connectivity problems, Sophos.

Read the whole story
  2. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

What did WordPress do?
  3. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

My guess would be it was targeted for political reasons, likely for different blogs it hosts that certain governments don't like considering the size of the attack. I guess we'll know for sure once they release more information.
  4. lchu12

lchu12 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 199   +9

Maybe its what they didn't do? haha
  5. be_patient

be_patient Newcomer, in training Posts: 105

Those bastards providing us with a quality service for free. HOW DARE THEY?!
  6. Emin3nce

Emin3nce Newcomer, in training Posts: 129

< Wants to see a counter attack
  7. trparky

trparky Newcomer, in training Posts: 66   +7

I don't care what kind of mitigations you have in place to stop DDoS attacks, against that kind of attack... you have no hope. The best you could hope for is to try and diminish the attack at the data center's core edge router.

That kind of attack would be able to inundate most internal data center networks if it were to get past the data center's core edge router.
  8. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 626   +122

Anyone know who's responsible yet?
  9. Kenrick

Kenrick Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

Just like in the movie The Social Network, "You don't get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies "
  10. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

That's getting pretty serious, I'm surprised no group has claimed it yet considering the impact it made
  11. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

Who is targeting WordPress? It might just be me living under a rock here, but I cannot recall anything "bad" they have done recently. There are tonnes of other villainous companies out there, so WordPress seems to be such a random target. Although Gb/s-attacks don't exactly attack random servers like that.

12. w3b0n

w3b0n Newcomer, in training Posts: 38

they where doing system upgrades and wanted to make the change look cybernautic elite way.. bah im just messing around.

For real, who would attack wordpress? i guess its a new group on the rising, i remember my old days i used to struggle everything that was on the net. Once you mature you realize how childish that was.
  13. pretty sure was the attack by Vietnamese government against danlambao.wordpress.com blog. The blog fight for press freedom in Vietnam. vinh

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.