TechSpot

Work PC hit hard with Spyware Protect

By pfexpress
Mar 26, 2009
  1. I saw another post in this forum that sounds like this one. My work PC gets used by alot of different people and I noticed today some pop-ups from a program called Spyware Protect 2009. It's pretty much taken over my PC. I cant run any programs. Or run any install programs to check for Malware/Spyware etc. I tried in safe mode and was able to download, but still could not install. When trying to use the internet, it blocks some sites and if I do a Google search, and click on a result, it takes me to a different site.

I understand the 8 steps that are required before posting here, but as of now, I dont have the option to get those programs. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. pfexpress

pfexpress TS Rookie Topic Starter

HIJackThis Log attached

I havent been able to get any of the programs to install, or run due to this infection. I did, however get HiJackThis to run, if it's any help. The log is attached.

3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

I ask all users who are having a problem with a computer in a work setting if they have contacted whoever is the IT person for the office- have you done this?

You have Malwarebytes running on the system:
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    Why can't you update and run a scan with it?

As for the HijackThis log:
    Remove bad HijackThis entries
    • Run HijackThis
    • Click on the System Scan Only button
    • Put a check beside all of the items listed below (if present):
    • Close all open windows and browsers/email, etc...
    • Click on the "Fix Checked" button
    • When completed, close the application.

Regarding the following entry:
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
    Since you are in an office setting, please see the following site about determining whether the entry should remain:
    http://www.pchell.com/support/nwprovau_dll_file.shtml

When done, run the MalwareBytes scan, being sure to UPDATE first. Follow that by running SuperAntispyware, then a new HijackThis scan.

Attach all three logs.

4. pfexpress

pfexpress TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply. I cant run any of my protection programs because it seems the infection is stopping them from working. Even in safe mode. I click on the program and it just stalls there. It never opens.
    Our setting really isnt an office its just a computer in a store and lots of people use it at random times. Which is now going to stop.
    I will be back in the store on Monday and will fix what you have asked me to, and try and get another report.

5. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Are those people employees or customers? Sounds like a really bad set up for security no matter which they are if there is internet access.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.