TechSpot

Workaround lets you upgrade from Windows 8 betas to the RTM

By Matthew
Aug 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft made it easy to jump from an older version of its operating system to one of the Windows 8 previews, but the company has been upfront about one inherent drawback: folks running beta builds won't be able to experience…

Read more

2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Maniac Posts: 585   +79

what exactly does this mean. that you can download the Beta and download the retail and install the retail on top of it? without key? I am confused.

3. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 365   +40

It means you can install the most up to date windows 8 version available over top of the beta version, but you get to keep all your files and programs without re-installing them.

4. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,077   +102

like any windows, you'll have to activate it in 30 days. (or it's free if you went with the preview version)

5. I am still wondering if we will be able to do a full install off the upgrade media. This is provided that we have a copy of a prior version.

6. sombodys going to upgrade..... thats the real story ..... windows 10 out in 6 months

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,123   +1,523

But you will likely need a RTM key to activate the RTM upgrade install.

8. nuttynuts

nuttynuts TS Rookie

It an old trick but is working..

9. ElShotte

ElShotte TS Enthusiast Posts: 166

I haven't bothered trying any version of 8, and I doubt I'll ever install it. Waiting for Windows 9...

10. How nice if this work for the no NX PC.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.