TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Workaround lets you upgrade from Windows 8 betas to the RTM

By Matthew ¬∑ 9 replies
Aug 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft made it easy to jump from an older version of its operating system to one of the Windows 8 previews, but the company has been upfront about one inherent drawback: folks running beta builds won't be able to experience…

Read more

2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Evangelist Posts: 602   +86

what exactly does this mean. that you can download the Beta and download the retail and install the retail on top of it? without key? I am confused.

3. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 625   +244

It means you can install the most up to date windows 8 version available over top of the beta version, but you get to keep all your files and programs without re-installing them.

4. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 2,037   +608

like any windows, you'll have to activate it in 30 days. (or it's free if you went with the preview version)

5. I am still wondering if we will be able to do a full install off the upgrade media. This is provided that we have a copy of a prior version.

6. sombodys going to upgrade..... thats the real story ..... windows 10 out in 6 months

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,849   +3,068

But you will likely need a RTM key to activate the RTM upgrade install.

8. nuttynuts

nuttynuts TS Rookie

It an old trick but is working..

9. ElShotte

ElShotte TS Enthusiast Posts: 162

I haven't bothered trying any version of 8, and I doubt I'll ever install it. Waiting for Windows 9...

10. How nice if this work for the no NX PC.