Workgroup has slow internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I have a small work group of about 8 computers, some on Ethernet and some wireless. The DSL modem goes into a lynksys wireless g 4 port router (which has wireless turned off). The router does into a 15 port switch, which all the computers are connected to along with a wireless access point another 4 port switch and a printer.

Our Internet connection speeds are very slow on all the computers, but file transfers across the work group are fine.

I have tested the Internet connection speed at the modem with a laptop and get 4Mbps after the router speeds are 2.5Mbps and after the switch it is 0.3Mbps! I have checked the cabling and run virus scans but so far can't find the cause of the slowdown.

Any ideas what else I could try?

Andy

First, using a switch for all systems should be a great thing to do as it will reduce
junk IP traffic seen be all systems.

I would verify the settings for all wired systems being 10/100 and NOT use the gigabit
rate if the card supports it -- it would just swamp the switch and or router.

http://www.distinct.com/monitor/monitor.htm shows the ability to gather
>Adapter Statistics. This reports all the data that is gathered by the NIC driver including collisions, alignment errors, overruns and underruns.

>Download: Network Monitor
trial. This trial is limited to 25 packets and will time out 10 days after installation.

solved

Hello and thanks for the replys. It turns out that the problem was a dying router, a dying modem, and line noise in the building telephone switching room because our DSL line was running too close to too many T1's. We went from 129kbps to 1200kbps with replace ment of the router, up to 2500kbps with replacement of the modem and now 4000kpbs with correcting of DSL wiring problems. The tech for Qwest was extremely helpful in tracing down all the diffrent errors that were occuring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back