TechSpot

Workstation's memory

1. Hi guys,

I'm planning on purchasing a workstation soon, but i need advice from experts on how many memory/ram should i be looking at. I will be buying from OEM such as DELL or HP, according to their workstation series there are models which can be upgraded to 16 GB, 24GB,72GB, 192GB.

Running on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS

Programs that i will be using consist of: DS Solidworks, Autocad, Autodesk 3Ds Max, Inventor, Adobe Creative Suite, perhaps Bunkspeed or other rendering programs not to forget MS Office + +

As this is the first time i will be buying a workstation i need feedback or advice from people who's doing the same task and perhaps running programs of such.
    I'm looking to optimize the performance of my workflow, in reality do i need 70GB ++ of rams ? The task i will be doing is designing Products, interior space, 3D modeling, Rendering + +

Please advice me,
    Thank you very much for your help!
    :)

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,336   +280

16-24 GB will probably be enough, but it really comes down to the size of your models and how much multitasking with these apps you will be doing. Take a look at your current memory usage on your current rig by watching Taskman to get an idea.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.