TechSpot

World of StarCraft reborn as Starcraft Universe

By Emil
Feb 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The group of modders that got impatient with Blizzard and decided to create World of StarCraft are still at it. The project has simply been reborn under the name StarCraft Universe (SCU). The focus is still the same: recreating multiplayer raid battle experiences similar to World of Warcraft. SCU will be released as a series of Starcraft II custom maps and published officially on Battle.net.

Read the whole story
  2. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 481   +8

So, they finally did what they should have the first day the C&D was received?
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,346   +396

Glad to see that Blizzard is playing ball - and even supporting - instead of insisting this be dropped altogether. All it required was a simple name change.
  4. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,666   +58

Its a custom game made by there map maker they are gigantic douche bags for sending out a cease and desist order. You cant make your own map with there editor in starcraft 22 and name it world of starcraft? That's very very weak.

Yes it is cool that they invited them to meet the sc2 team. Its to bad blizzard did not learn from League of Legends and make games so you can rejoin them for 10 minutes after you get dropped or leave. If they had this option in sc2 people could join ongoing custom maps.
  5. @treetops
    Try reading and comprehending a bit better. They sent cease and desist letters to YOUTUBE to take down the alpha trailers because of the title, not the content. They've done nothing to try and hinder the progress of the mod.
  6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Being that Starcraft is the trademarked name of one of Blizzard's properties, I don't see how using Starcraft Universe is any better than World of Starcraft.

I am unsure I follow Blizzard's logic. Why bother complaining at all?
  7. Where can I see those videos ? Will they be reuploaded to YouTube with another title since their contents itself wasn't illegal ?
  8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,066   +704

Rick, Blizz wanted a name change because World of Starcraft implies a certain association to World of Warcraft. If it didn't, they never would have used that name. They don't want this because Blizzard doesn't want people associating Blizzard with something they have no control over. Blizzard has strict rules on it's games, like not allowing in game items to be purchased for real $$$ (yes, it happens, but it's against the rules), and inclusion of spam filters, language filters, and other security measures.

Imagine if the Starcraft support site started receiving calls for World of Starcraft, and yes people ARE that dumb. Think if a company came out with a device called the iPlayer. We'd assume it's from apple, and they wouldn't stand for it, no matter how cool it was.
  9. Um iPlayer is the BBC's internet playback site
  10. "So, they finally did what they should have the first day the C&D was received?"

They actually did it the same day they had the Youtube video taken down (there was no C&D). You're just hearing about it really late.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32562/Blizzard_No_Intention_To_Stop_World_of_StarCraft_Mod_Development.php
  11. treetops

Oh no a youtube video has the name world of starcraft?

12. treetops

13. Why do I get the feeling that this mod may eventually become a stand alone game. I'm quite sure Blizz is trying to assess how much money it would cost to make the game and how long it will take them to make the money back. If they've been getting all this feed back from BlizzCon and people watching the video, I'm sure that they are crunching the numbers.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.