World of Warcraft 4.0.1 patch preps for Cataclysm

Mike

The preparations for World of Warcraft's upcoming Cataclysm expansion are going live today with the launch of the 4.0.1 content patch. While not including Goblins or Worgen yet, today's patch does feature some major design overhauls and brings in-game systems up to date for Cataclysm's December 7 launch. The game's lore will also see some changes in the next few weeks as scripted events begin taking place across Azeroth, foreshadowing the coming destruction and revamp of the game world.

The majority of today's changes streamline interface elements, such as the character, spellbook, and guild management screens. Also, hoping to adjust how players choose and play their roles in-game, 4.0.1 has shed some of the bloat that has built up over the previous expansions. Rarely-used spells have been removed, talent trees have be redesigned and shortened, and the glyph system has been refined.

Several new features have been launched as well: "reforging," which allows players to alter the stats of their gear and replace less desirable bonuses with others that better suit their spec or play style, and a new water rendering system, which adds a nice cosmetic improvement to one of the game's most outdated-looking elements. A list of all changes made in the patch can be found here.

Permalink to story.

Actually, WoW is one outdated-looking element...

(See what I did there?)

They just keep dumbing it down, trying to make it easier for the masses, cause you know, Blizzard doesn't make enough money of WoW suspcriptions already...

Haters gonna hate.

Personally, after a long hard day at work, I enjoy relaxing by playing WoW. I'm not a hardcore WoW gamer like I used to be, but I still find it greatly entertaining.

Yes, Wendig0, because we really got nothing better to do than to come to Techspot and bash WoW for no reason. Ahh no, the game is just repetitively *****ic. There are so much better alternatives. If YOU like game, that doesn't make it good.

@Chazz Your ironic redundancy is not amusing. Indeed, there is nothing wrong with you liking the game; that doesn't make it bad, but when someone points out the game's obvious flaws, to call those people "haters" is simply childish and clearly fanboy-ish.

Yes, Wendig0, because we really got nothing better to do than to come to Techspot and bash WoW for no reason. Ahh no, the game is just repetitively *****ic. There are so much better alternatives. If YOU like game, that doesn't make it good.

Reading is fundamental Guest. You can plainly see that I said, "Personally, after a long hard day at work...". Stay in school. :rolleyes:

but when someone points out the game's obvious flaws, to call those people "haters" is simply childish and clearly fanboy-ish.

Which obvious flaws were illustrated in such great detail Guest? Please elaborate for us. Perhaps you were merely referring to your flawed grammar from a previous post?
because we really got nothing better to do

Guest said:
@Chazz Your ironic redundancy is not amusing. Indeed, there is nothing wrong with you liking the game; that doesn't make it bad, but when someone points out the game's obvious flaws, to call those people "haters" is simply childish and clearly fanboy-ish.

It wasn't meant to be amusing. It was me showing just how *****ic your reasoning was. You didn't like it, so my point was taken.

LOL - Nope I agree, Haters gonna hate. Nobody has pointed out any "obvious flaws" and reasons why it's not a good game, just moronic biggotry cause they personally don't like the game.

WoW is fine, I haven't played any other MMO's that have been more entertaining yet.

People hate things that are successful. Some hate that they used to play something when it was new and nobody knew about it, then 'outsiders' come in and 'dumb' the gameplay. That's just how it is and always will be. I like playing WoW, it has some mechanics in it that are for the 'noobs' out there. Paladins, hunters, rogues even, all would be your easy characters, you get more in depth with the harder.

WoW is not a horrible game. As far as all you that think graphics make the game, go back and play Halo or camp in CoD. WoW is more intensive on your computer than those (well, if Halo3/reach were for PC). There are more calculations... let me just stop here... you don't like the game, don't play it, and don't bring in 'facts' that you think you know. You like the game, like it.

As far as MMO's go IMO nothing beats WoW, and one of my pet peeves has actually been the water rendering quality
I have not played for over a year but might just have to take a look now to see how Cataclysm unfolds.
Good work Blizzard!

I just re-activated my WoW account 2 days ago, before I even knew there was going to be a new patch updating everything to get ready for Cataclysm... As a player who has played WoW since it's original launch date I can say that yes, they have definitely made parts of the game easier... But I also understand the reasoning for it... When the game first launched, there was a level 60 level cap, 2 continents and roughly a dozen zones, now we are coming up to a level 85 cap, a literal huge world, 2 more new races etc. For new players starting the game, they don't want them to be overwhelmed in the beginning, they want people to be able to jump in, understand the game play mechanics and have fun as well as get to the new content ASAP. I personally enjoy the improvements and am looking forward to the new content!

veedubguy said:
I just re-activated my WoW account 2 days ago, before I even knew there was going to be a new patch updating everything to get ready for Cataclysm... As a player who has played WoW since it's original launch date I can say that yes, they have definitely made parts of the game easier... But I also understand the reasoning for it... When the game first launched, there was a level 60 level cap, 2 continents and roughly a dozen zones, now we are coming up to a level 85 cap, a literal huge world, 2 more new races etc. For new players starting the game, they don't want them to be overwhelmed in the beginning, they want people to be able to jump in, understand the game play mechanics and have fun as well as get to the new content ASAP. I personally enjoy the improvements and am looking forward to the new content!

+1

:)

I haven't played WoW since June, but I my friend did that 10 free day trial re-invite thing, and I screwed around with it some last night. I was a little shocked to see tho the patch for it was 4.7gigs :O.
But I finally did get to play some last night and its a whole rework of every class. Its almost like playing a new character after not playing for several months & with all the changes.

@Wendig0 @Chazz

Hahaha, was I the only one who didn't fail at recognizing that these "Guests" are actually the same person? Obvious troll, people, obvious. You just fell for their tactics.

But, that just show you how much you care about WoW, I guess. :p

I don't even bother giving second thoughts to people who post negative things anonymously. Create an account, post your ideas and let's have a discussion. Otherwise, you just look like a troll.

I'm excited about the new patch. I'm not a die hard WoW fan - more of a die hard FFXI fan than anything, but the complete overhaul of WoW is exciting. With the recently launch of XIV basically being a joke, I was amused to see the date they picked to release Cataclysm. The irony is not lost on some of us, Blizz.

I just hope that it lives up to the hype.

I was a hardcore wow player, but I'm starting to hate blizzard... besides the suscription they charge you extra for the expansion... making you pay more to keep the game fresh, when they are forced to do it or the players leave, but they are so adicted that they just pay.

I started a trial account to warhammer which I upgraded without having to buy any game, just pay the suscription and its a pretty cool game, the PvE is not as complex as in WoW but the PvP is amazing, you get to (for WoW users) be horde and raid ironforge, win items doing it, exp, reputation and pvp medals to get gear.

=)

Well, paying for expansions is a pretty standard thing. You don't pay for the content patches inside the expansions - that's all covered with the subscription fees.

Besides that, you don't have to buy the expansion to keep playing. You do have to pay for it if you want to experience the new areas and new content.

I like the MMO pricing models - and in this instance Bliz is justified as they are overhauling the entire game to bring it more up to date with current technology. It's a little more involved as far as development costs than say, your run of the mill offline game that gives you maybe 60 total hours of play value. At least in an MMO, you have social aspects that keep your interest piqued.

Well i have played WoW back over 4 years ago when it was a game that required Skill to play your character. I have earned the Field Marshal Title in PvP then and that was no joke. I then took a 3 year break from June 2007 to July 2010 when i returned. The game has become a freaking JOKE to play and if people are going to complain about Blizzard making changes that make PLAYING YOUR CLASS HARD you need to quit the game because you are a fail PLAYER.

If all the people complaining now that things are too hard to do or i am loosing all these stats that i need should go back to the Pre- Burning Crusade days and would understand that what they have now in this game is handed to them and not hard at all.

There were never websites for Speccing your talent trees you clearly read it and specced it because you knew how to play your class and do things. Now everyone posts What site can i get my character spec from im too Stupid to figure out how to play this game myself so i need someone to do it for me.

Cataclysm will be bringing a wake up call to all the noobs that "think" they know what there doing by reading forums and specs posted online instead of just developing skill themselves.

I have a mage that out DPS's others with gear that is almost double mine and they have used websites to learn how to play there class. I have never read a site or forum but yet actually played my character and learned to play and be better than others that are incompetent with what is going on around them.

What does this rant have to do with anything? You sound pretty fired up, but geeze o whiz take a breath.

@Wendig0 @Chazz

Hahaha, was I the only one who didn't fail at recognizing that these "Guests" are actually the same person? Obvious troll, people, obvious. You just fell for their tactics.

But, that just show you how much you care about WoW, I guess. :p

I knew it was the same person. I just felt like replying. I usually don't reply to "guests" at all, as they usually don't have anything beneficial to bring to the discussion. In this case however, I felt like calling this guest out for the mouth breather that he is. No skin off my back either way.

Zilpha said:
Create an account, post your ideas and let's have a discussion. Otherwise, you just look like a troll.

+1 Zilpha

Back