World View space tourism startup completes successful high-altitude test flight

By Shawn Knight
Jun 26, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Interested in seeing our home planet from the edge of space but can't spare the $250,000 that a trip with Virgin Galactic commands? Fret not, as a mere $75,000 is all you'll need to scrape together for a ride from...

Read more
  2. If Nasa wanted a guinea pig for a flight to Mars,I'll go.
    I would love to be on the space station right now.
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Ohh edge of space definately! Multiple times a week :D
  4. Talk is cheap mafaka :)
  5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,115   +1,379

May end up like this dude;)
  6. Nah, I've NEVER heard of a ballooning accident. Safe as mortgaged houses.
  7. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TS Addict Posts: 135   +50

Where are they based? I want to hide in the craft and avoid the $75,000 cost.
  8. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 824   +53

Yeah what happens when a piece of space junk perforates the balloon 23 miles above the earth. Parachutes on standby?
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,352   +1,945

Don't be so cheap, if you pay for me I'll go with you. :) You can always try stowing away in the helium envelope but I don't know what you'll be able to see from there. Be sure to dress warmly and expect to sound like Donald Duck for a few weeks afterwards.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

There's bound to be emergency procedures put in place by then. C'mon man, live on the edge a bit, you could be hit by a bus while crossing the street tomorrow.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Does this 75 grand include the return fare?
    Tanstar likes this.
  12. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 824   +53

I wouldn't pay £75k to get hit by a bus
  13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Just think they could pay us 75K to go up and collect this junk. Before long there wouldn't be anything left floating around.
    Who needs return fair, falling is free. lol
    You know some people don't have the courage to do it alone. :)
  14. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

They will return you to earth, no problem. Just how far into it is what you should worry about.
  15. At 23 miles above Earth most falling debris would have already burned up, in fact you wouldn't even experience any zero gravity at that altitude, but if you left the capsule without a space suit your blood would boil as the oxygen bubbles in your bloodstream expands to boiling point pretty much instantaneously.

If space debris survived atmospheric reentry at 23 miles above earth then people on the ground would have a lot more to worry about.
  16. "We're going to drop you off at the North Pole. Is that cool?"
  17. Anything to wreck ecology...
  18. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

Except that we aren't talking about random space debris are we? You didn't really read the article did you?