World's first carbon nanotube computer emerges after years of work

By Shawn Knight
Sep 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A team of researchers from Stanford University have revealed the first-ever computer based on carbon nanotubes, the material that is widely expected to replace silicon as the building block of future computers.

Read more
  2. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Addict Posts: 294   +58

Finally we can stop having more cores at some point in the future.

And oh ****, PCs are going to be expensive again.
  3. Spykezxp

Spykezxp TS Addict Posts: 287   +73

I was just thinking the same thing myself. This is definitely going to drive the cost up of not only computers, but anything they use it in. Not saying its gonna be anytime soon, but it will happen. Its good to see that the tech age is still growing and trying new things, not just repeatedly hitting itself against the "Brick Wall".
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

Did I miss something? Were computers ever cheap? Yes they dropped in price radically over time but I've never known them to be 'cheap', just 'cheaper', unless you're taking the 2nd hand market into account as well.
  5. Not to downplay the significance, but 178 transistors is hardly a computer.
  6. Khanonate

Khanonate TS Booster Posts: 126   +14

It's not by the numbers of's "computing" numbers.
  7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I think the advantages of this technology will justify the price tag.
  8. Not to argue, but if it computes, it's a computer. Proof-of-concepts don't need to be extravagant, just scalable, which they say this is.
  9. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

10. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

No they won't. There's no need to stop making PCs out of silicon. Look at electric cars... they'll replace gasoline engines someday, but until the prices goes down enough they won't be too popular. And we have a need to stop using gas. There's nothing wrong with silicon, it just can't run as fast as we may want in the future.

Whatever comes after silicon probably won't replace it. They'll be sold side by side for as long as making electronics out of silicon is profitable.
  11. ElShotte

ElShotte TS Enthusiast Posts: 162

IBM was able to create a chip with 10,000 carbon nanotube transistors, now all you need to do is implement imperfection-immune design, and you have a fully functional chip. Yes, I am super excited to see that someone is doing something revolutionary for CPU tech instead of just improving current silicon.
  12. Moxiy

Moxiy TS Member Posts: 38

Wow I like this. Il watch this space to see where all this leads to.
  13. avoidz

avoidz TS Guru Posts: 456   +54

Impressive and interesting. Could be some 10 or 20 years away from manufacturing though, yes?
  14. Why is not photonics a better bet?